Couple of questions...

This is my first post, so if I'm doing something wrong, be gentle! I'm getting candle making stuff next month, so I have a few questions.

I'll most likely be getting parrafin wax, stearic acid, scents, and colors.

My first question is about the double boiler/tall pots used to melt wax. Not a real double boiler, but one of the tall silver/metal cans with a handle. (I can't remember what they're called but the craft store has them in the candle section!)

Do you set these directly in the pot of boiling water or does it need to be set up on something so it's not touching? I am reading a lot and watching videos and I'm not getting consistant information...

Now for the real question... Once I get the hang of melting and pouring, I want to make a rainbow candle. I'm using a 32oz yogurt container as a mold, with 1/2 cup layers (I measured with water). At first I thought I'd melt 4.5 oz, color and scent it, and pour, then do it again after cleaning out the pot. BUT, I don't think the thermometer will be long enough to reach into that small amount of wax without touching the bottom. So, if I multiplied it by four (I have four containers) would the thermometer be able to easily reach 16 or so oz of wax?

Pour pots- be sure and print out some coupons from hobby lobby (or Michaels or JoAnns) before buying one locally. I have about 10 of them, and I paid less than $5.00 for each, dont let yourself pay more than that. After all its just a metal pot with a handle!!

I set mine on a canning ring (or two) that I will put in the pot of boiling water, if I am using that method to melt wax... but I dont think you HAVE to. I really only use this method if I am testing scents and pouring 2-4 candles. Otherwise I use presto pots full of wax, they melt it fast and clean for me, then I can put my empty pot on a scale and pour from the presto into the pour pot and do different scents/colors with one batch of melted wax.

This also makes it so I dont have to do candles in the kitchen, I can do them in my work room. Much easier!

Pour pots- be sure and print out some coupons from hobby lobby (or Michaels or JoAnns) before buying one locally. I have about 10 of them, and I paid less than $5.00 for each, dont let yourself pay more than that. After all its just a metal pot with a handle!!

I set mine on a canning ring (or two) that I will put in the pot of boiling water, if I am using that method to melt wax... but I dont think you HAVE to. I really only use this method if I am testing scents and pouring 2-4 candles. Otherwise I use presto pots full of wax, they melt it fast and clean for me, then I can put my empty pot on a scale and pour from the presto into the pour pot and do different scents/colors with one batch of melted wax.

This also makes it so I dont have to do candles in the kitchen, I can do them in my work room. Much easier!

Oh wow, our Hobby Lobby has them for 15.00! Hopefully there will be some good coupons then. Thank you for the help! :cheesy2:

Yogurt containers are pretty thin. You may have issues keeping the wax hot enough to work with but cool enough to not melt the containers.

Make sure you put the container in a bowl or something to catch the wax if it melts.

That's what I thought at first, but in one book I read it said for plastic just make sure you don't go over 180 degrees. Does that sound okay, or should I scrap the idea? I don't want runny plastic everywhere. It would be great if it works though, because we have a TON of yogurt containers.

Also, are you supposed to pour each layer 10 degrees hotter than the last? This is my problem with reading so much about it, it's all so different for everyone.

Edited by DelphicScorpion

Save yourself loads and loads of time and buy a presto pot at Wallyworld! They really are not that expensive for the amount of time that they will save you. Like 20 bucks. I used to do that whole double boiling thing too, and its just way to time consuming. A presto pot will melt the wax in about 10-20 minutes, it has a temp gauge, and you dont have to worry about water getting into your wax.

HobbyLobby.com has a 40% coupon all the time, I think its under promotions or something like that- all the other craft places will take them too!

Wonderful, thanks!

Save yourself loads and loads of time and buy a presto pot at Wallyworld! They really are not that expensive for the amount of time that they will save you. Like 20 bucks. I used to do that whole double boiling thing too' date=' and its just way to time consuming. A presto pot will melt the wax in about 10-20 minutes, it has a temp gauge, and you dont have to worry about water getting into your wax.[/quote']

Don't you have to drill in those though?

No you do not have to drill any holes into it, only if you want it to have a pour spout on it. All you have to do is get out your hammer and chop the wax up! That is the hardest part of the presto pot method of melting wax. ;) You put however much you want into it,( I seem to be able to do half of the slab) let it melt and volia! Then you can either scent the whole thing if you want to make a very large batch, or ladle it into the $5 container that you bought from the craft store and add your fragrance and coloring. Think of your melted pot of wax as a base..then you can just separate it into however many fragrances and colors you want. No need to keep watching and waiting and restarting the whole melting process. Been there done that and let me tell you its not that fun after a while. It truthfully will save you so much time and energy.

If you haven't purchased any candle supplies yet; may I suggest that you slow down and consider buying a kit. You never want to make a candle in anything but a recommended container meant solely for that purpose. The end burn of a candle gets really hot and will easily burn its way through plastic and create a really bad fire. I use a coffee carafe for a pour pot (you probably have an old one in a cabinet somewhere) and you can melt quite a bit of wax either with the double boiler method (remember that water and oil don't mix) or you can use a direct heat method like a $20.00 Presto pot from Wally World. Buy a digital oven thermometer with the silver probe and cord and monitor the temp of your wax. Buy a postal scale to weigh your wax and fragrance oils. All these things can be purchased at wally world for nearly nothing. Don't buy a ton of stuff and have it sit there and stare at you. HTH Oh and welcome to the board.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

I'm not leaving the candles in the plastic, don't worry about that. :) I'm just using them for molds. (Hopefully. I'm going to try one at first, then if it works and doesn't melt I'll use the others.)

We actually haven't ever had a coffee pot. :shocked2: A couple of the metal pour pots will do us fine probably. (I think those are basically what you mean by coffee carafe anyway, right?).

I'm probably WAY overconfident and I know that. I just see all the awesome candles being made by people here and I don't think I'll last long with simple ones. Of course I know we'll start out small, but I think (hope) we'll progress fast.

Thank you for the help! :)