Experienced Tart Makers as Critics

Prim-Beginnings

I don't know if anyone ever does this on here, but here it goes ...

I know some of you have been making tarts for years and sell very well. I'm just getting going. I have been working on tarts for just over a year now. I have a local following of customers that say they love the tarts and keep coming back for more. I would like to step out into our local shops and wholesale, but am trying to do it right this time, in the right order and not hurry!

I was wondering if some of you experienced tart makers who sell a lot of tarts would be interested in 'testing' my tarts out and critiqueing (I can't spell that!) them.

They may not be ready for the world yet, and I would like to know. I thought a neutral (not my neighbor or family) opinion would be good about now.

I don't want to take them to the shops or craft fairs if they still need improvement. I already made that mistake! I was one of those people you guys always talk about, and correctly. I took my 3rd batch of tarts to the shops and got turned down (duh!). I don't want to go back unless I can save face :).

Does this sound like a good idea? Is anyone interested? Maybe 2 or 3 people ...

Thanks, Aubrey

I don't think you will have any trouble getting anyone to test them for you. Why do you think they turned you turned down? I love a good tart! It has to have an awesome throw, and come out of a burner with ease. And it has to be inexpensive. Good luck!

I think they were turned down because they weren't ready the first time. I hurried into it and took the product before it was good enough! I learned from my mistake.

I want to know others opinions on packaging, handleing, appearance, and most importantly throw, among other things.

They come out of the tart burner wonderfully, if placed in freezer for a couple of minutes.

They are a soft wax, so you get sticky handleing them, might be a turn off.

Packaging is a muffin liner, simple inexpensive, might be a turn off.

People are used to that packaging around here, there are a couple of others that use it. I have no problems upgrading packaging, but don't see a reason to in testing phase.

They are all shades of cream, no dye. I like the simple look, but not hung up on it.

I have wondered if my wholesale price isn't low enough, but not willing to change just yet. I am aiming for .70 ea.

Hi Aubrey,

Just a suggestion - a great way to get people to try your tarts and get feedback is to participate in the swaps. We just recently had a tart swap but any swap that's open to tarts would be ideal. You can even host one if you'd like but I suggest trying another host's swap just to get your feet wet and see what's involved. It a great way to sample other suppliers fragrances and see different packaging you can try as well as get feedback on your own stuff.

I find that most swap participants are willing to share supplier information as well. So if you see a package or shape that you like they'll be happy to point out where to find the supplies you need to recreate it.

Also if you want to see some really neat ideas for tarts check out some etsy sellers.

I personally make just the boring tart shaped ones (like yankmee) with my left over wax but when I look to purchase tarts from other chandlers I really go for the creative stuff like this chandler's http://www.etsy.com/shop/WENDYSTARTS?section_id=6482936

I think a little inventiveness can go a long way and it's worth the investment in good silicon molds if your going wholesale with a a few styles. It would definitely give you an edge. Just my humble opinion. Good luck.

Cheers,

Jacqui

Hi Aubrey,

Just a suggestion - a great way to get people to try your tarts and get feedback is to participate in the swaps. We just recently had a tart swap but any swap that's open to tarts would be ideal. You can even host one if you'd like but I suggest trying another host's swap just to get your feet wet and see what's involved. It a great way to sample other suppliers fragrances and see different packaging you can try as well as get feedback on your own stuff.

I find that most swap participants are willing to share supplier information as well. So if you see a package or shape that you like they'll be happy to point out where to find the supplies you need to recreate it.

Also if you want to see some really neat ideas for tarts check out some etsy sellers.

I personally make just the boring tart shaped ones (like yankmee) with my left over wax but when I look to purchase tarts from other chandlers I really go for the creative stuff like this chandler's http://www.etsy.com/shop/WENDYSTARTS?section_id=6482936

I think a little inventiveness can go a long way and it's worth the investment in good silicon molds if your going wholesale with a a few styles. It would definitely give you an edge. Just my humble opinion. Good luck.

Cheers,

Jacqui

I love those tarts on that site!!! So cool!! Maybe she could join the swap you have going now? I know we are a week into it, but it would be a good experience for her and she would see how much fun (and addicting) they are.

Everyone has different tastes. I personally would never buy the food looking tarts. They are cute but I would pass them right by. I prefer the plain tarts as they are usually cheaper than the fancy ones and they are going to melt anyway. What would sell me everytime is the cold & hot throw and ease of removal from the tart burner.

From your description the only thing that I wouldn't like is it being sticky.

Everyone has different tastes. I personally would never buy the food looking tarts. They are cute but I would pass them right by. I prefer the plain tarts as they are usually cheaper than the fancy ones and they are going to melt anyway. What would sell me everytime is the cold & hot throw and ease of removal from the tart burner.

From your description the only thing that I wouldn't like is it being sticky.

I completely agree with the idea that its just going to melt anyway. But I'm sure that people who buy the fancier ones are probably displaying them in a basket or some other way before they use them.

I think they were turned down because they weren't ready the first time. I hurried into it and took the product before it was good enough! I learned from my mistake.

I want to know others opinions on packaging, handleing, appearance, and most importantly throw, among other things.

They come out of the tart burner wonderfully, if placed in freezer for a couple of minutes.

They are a soft wax, so you get sticky handleing them, might be a turn off.

Packaging is a muffin liner, simple inexpensive, might be a turn off.

People are used to that packaging around here, there are a couple of others that use it. I have no problems upgrading packaging, but don't see a reason to in testing phase.

They are all shades of cream, no dye. I like the simple look, but not hung up on it.

I have wondered if my wholesale price isn't low enough, but not willing to change just yet. I am aiming for .70 ea.

I pour tarts into the foil muffing liners and use a container wax but it's not sticky. Not sure what wax that would be. I sell wholesale by the dozen not per tart at $9 doz. I sell a lot but most are colored and some have either glitter or some sort of topping. Not near as fancy as the lady on Etsy. Try approaching consignment shops, I find they sell tarts really well. And if they don't sell tart warmers then take one and show them where to buy them wholesale. Then you'll really be selling tarts. What are you packaging your tarts in. That makes a big difference, messy tarts will not sell.

The food tarts are cute, but I agree with those who like the simple tarts. I only package the tarts in the muffin liners, they are not shrink wrapped, in bags or anything. I have considered using those nice black portion cups, but I wanted to work the tart out before getting into pricier packaging. I have a picture of the tarts on my website www.primitive-beginnings.com, under the new prim items and tarts & warmers. I up for critiquing on the website too. Good information is always useful, even if its bad news!

Speaking of which, maybe I didn't learn from my mistake. Maybe I should pull the tarts off the website until I get some opinions from others (besides my local support).

Edited by Prim-Beginnings
more

The food tarts are cute, but I agree with those who like the simple tarts. I only package the tarts in the muffin liners, they are not shrink wrapped, in bags or anything. I have considered using those nice black portion cups, but I wanted to work the tart out before getting into pricier packaging. I have a picture of the tarts on my website www.primitive-beginnings.com, under the new prim items and tarts & warmers. I up for critiquing on the website too. Good information is always useful, even if its bad news!

Speaking of which, maybe I didn't learn from my mistake. Maybe I should pull the tarts off the website until I get some opinions from others (besides my local support).

Checked out you web site and it's really nice. Your tarts look fine but if selling wholesale they would have to be wrapped or placed in jars or something to keep them looking nice and the scent it. As far as price I personally would not buy tarts from you if you are selling them for $ .90 yourself. Wholesalers need to make something on what they sell and if you are selling below what they can price them for, then why would they bother? JMHO

Hello,

O.k I am very new to tart making, here's what I made, 2oz. Soy tarts poured in cupcake liner, I package 2 in a package a 4x6 zip lock bag for $3.95 a pack. You can smell them right thru the packages, question, do these appeal to any of you? and would you buy them? :confused:

post-12061-139458467536_thumb.jpg

post-12061-139458467539_thumb.jpg

post-12061-139458467542_thumb.jpg

Edited by bessie995
forgot to say they were soy tarts