Consignment Terms

? I would be placing my stuff in someone's business. So I'd be Consignee?

Trudi

Yup,

I would want to make sure it includes who is responsible for things like theft, sales tax, commision, and sales. I can look around and see if I have one but make sure you cover your butt Trudi. I had one shop close up and it took me two months to get my stuff back.

Something similar happened to me...consignment shop. I was doing a fantastic business there but...unknown to me...she closed. One of my best friends lived just down the street from the shop and she called me. She buys directly from me...but she knew the owner and would buy at her shop too to give her business. Anyway...she called me and said...I've been trying to shop at Carolyn's but every time I go she is closed. I'm thinking...that sounds strange so I called Carolyn and she told me she had packed up everyone's stuff and it was sitting in her garage...come get it.

I would check in there once a week during the busy season...to see what was selling so I could keep my booth well stocked. She closed the shop just before spring and I have to admit...I wasn't checking weekly. Anyway...hubby and I went to her house and got all of my stuff. I do have to say that she took care in packing everything...and there was a check waiting for me from the stuff that had sold just before she closed.

Like Lorrie said...make sure you cover your butt.

I received a request for wholesale and/or consignment. I am sure I won't do consignment due to it being in another state. But good to get my thoughts on consignment written down in case I need it in the future...closer to home where I can watch it. Can't ever be too prepared.

I used to have my candles in a craft style shop....monthly rent...I stocked it myself. Did really well. Back with my old business. They closed down during my "vacation"...darn!

Trudi

And if you do decide to do consignment, don't be afraid to negotiate the percentage they receive from your product.

When I approached a new shop, they said they took 30%. I explained that the other shop we were in took 25%, so she agreed to match that.

You never know....

Jane