Finally getting ready to try bath bombs... couple of questions.

rebeccajo99

Ok... now that my soap recipe is how I want it (however, now that pa posted her recepie that sounds just yummy... I may start working on that one too) I am going to try bath bombs.

I purchased some citric acid in March 2009. I use it to make my own dishwasher soap, but I have enough to try a batch of bombs. Is this too old for the bombs or is it still ok. Does citric acid go bad?

Also, I want to add shea butter to my bombs. I have seen on etsy people who have shea butter listed in their bomb ingrediants. What would be the best way to add this? Is there a good amount to start with? (sorry if this is posted somewhere already, I was supposed to be walking out the door to get to my in-laws about 10 mins ago so couldn't finish my searching)

Thanks in advance everybody.

As far as I know, citric should be fine as long as its kept dry and in a sealed container. If it looks chunky it might not be good anymore.

I use cocoa butter, you could use shea for sure. I've made some with shea and its very nice! I prefer the cocoa butter because I think it makes a more solid, hard bomb but thats just my personal taste :)

Personally, I dont use any water in my recipe.. just oils. So my advice is to make up a batch (of your dry mix), add in your fragrance first... then add in your melted shea butter, and then whatever other oils you choose to use.. I use apricot kernel. I cant give exact amounts, but you'll learn to get a feel for your mix and you will figure out how much of each you need and how much is too much/too little.

To make 24-26, 2.5oz bombs I use about 2oz cocoa butter and 2oz apricot kernel, if that helps.

As far as I know, citric should be fine as long as its kept dry and in a sealed container. If it looks chunky it might not be good anymore.

I use cocoa butter, you could use shea for sure. I've made some with shea and its very nice! I prefer the cocoa butter because I think it makes a more solid, hard bomb but thats just my personal taste :)

Personally, I dont use any water in my recipe.. just oils. So my advice is to make up a batch (of your dry mix), add in your fragrance first... then add in your melted shea butter, and then whatever other oils you choose to use.. I use apricot kernel. I cant give exact amounts, but you'll learn to get a feel for your mix and you will figure out how much of each you need and how much is too much/too little.

To make 24-26, 2.5oz bombs I use about 2oz cocoa butter and 2oz apricot kernel, if that helps.

Thank you

My citric acid is still a nice texture (looks exactly the same as when I baught it) so it sounds like that is still ok.

Your estimations are helpful. I have the recipie written down from the class given a couple of months ago and I also plan on doing a search looking for other recipies as well.

I thought of another question. How long should you let it cure before testing?

I would give it at least 3 days.. I'll use mine fresh sometimes but I dont vary the recipe at all, so if you are trying different things 3 days should be enough to let it dry well.

I can tell how old my bath bombs are by how they feel one week, or even one month later.. its pretty cool! So yeah give them some time to dry

Thanks for all of the helpful information. I baught my last 2 things needed today and I am going to try my first batch tonight when the hubby gets home!!! I'm really excited.

Just some last few questions (I hope :smiley2:). I use glycerin dispursed dyes from TBK for my soap, will that work for bombs too or should I get a more liquidy die?

I have seen some recipies that use food coloring for their bombs. Is that even safe for bombs that you plan to sell someday?

Thanks everybody!!!

I don't think food coloring is good to use, I've never tried it but I heard it would stain your tub/skin!

I use the wilton gel colors in my bath bombs. They're meant for icing, and they don't add any extra liquid, which is perfect for bombs. They also tint the water a bit, which is fun! :)

I can't say how the tbk colors will work, I haven't tired them. It might be adding just enough extra liquid to make your mix too wet. Bath bombs are finicky that way.