does dye go bad?

dixiegal

I had bought some about 1-2 years ago from soap silly I think. Anyway I'm playing around with m&p and no matter how well I stir when using the clear base I cant get the dye to mix, when I pour it always had darker specks in it. Im using the dye before the fo not sure if that the right order.

Are you using a powdered dye like mica? It helps to mix it with a little glycerin first before adding to your base. I also find that putting my base in the microwave for a short burst after I have added the mica dye helps to get rid of some of the specks.

Don't know if dye can go bad but I am sure there might be some that do. I have mostly dispursable liquid dyes and some micas from TKB Trading. I have trouble with the mica but after trying out these methods mentioned I can get the dye to disolve and blend into my base.

Are you using a powdered dye like mica? It helps to mix it with a little glycerin first before adding to your base. I also find that putting my base in the microwave for a short burst after I have added the mica dye helps to get rid of some of the specks.

Don't know if dye can go bad but I am sure there might be some that do. I have mostly dispursable liquid dyes and some micas from TKB Trading. I have trouble with the mica but after trying out these methods mentioned I can get the dye to disolve and blend into my base.

Its liquid.

Sounds like some of the pigment has seperated. That can happen with liquids. And you may not be able to fix that. Try shaking the bottle vigorously before using. Make sure the top is screwed on tight before you do. If that doesn't work personally I would just buy some new dyes. Unless someone else posts some ideas on it.

There is a TKB Trading coop going on if you are interested. There have great soap dyes. I have the POP sampler and love it.

Edited by Candybee

I have that problem with a few of my liquids from C&S but only in MP soap, they are fine in lotion and sanitizers. I just purchased some from elsewhere for MP but you could try mixing it with your FO or glycerin then mixing it into the base. Because I do chunk soaps I usually just end up remelting the "spotted" base and recooling it before cutting my chunks and it is fine.

Sounds like some of the pigment has seperated. That can happen with liquids. And you may not be able to fix that. Try shaking the bottle vigorously before using. Make sure the top is screwed on tight before you do. If that doesn't work personally I would just buy some new dyes. Unless someone else posts some ideas on it.

There is a TKB Trading coop going on if you are interested. There have great soap dyes. I have the POP sampler and love it.

Thanks for the suggestions Ill give it a try. What does TKB Trading stand for? I'll check it out.

I have that problem with a few of my liquids from C&S but only in MP soap, they are fine in lotion and sanitizers. I just purchased some from elsewhere for MP but you could try mixing it with your FO or glycerin then mixing it into the base. Because I do chunk soaps I usually just end up remelting the "spotted" base and recooling it before cutting my chunks and it is fine.

I did the same thikng just remelted it. Thanks for the info Ill try mixing it with fo.

My liquid dyes are from C&S. I got them about 2 years ago and they are still great to work with. I bought their sampler pack so I have about a dozen colors to work with. Plus they come in bottles with dropper caps so you can squeeze the bottle and use 1 or more drops at a time to color your soap.

I do find that sometimes a little bit of dye will be left on the top of the bottle inside the cap and will dry out. Then next time I use it that bit of dye will have dried on the cap and start to flake off into my soap when I squeeze out drops of dye into my melted base.

The flakes can cause flecks in my soap so I pop the base into the microwave for a short blast and that helps to dissolve the flecks so I can blend them into my base. I now am careful about cleaning off the tops before I use my dyes each time. If I see dried flecks of dye around the top under the cap I clean them off with a paper towel.