My version of a shell on a Palm Pillar

I've been testing since I posted a thread about the wicking for self consumption or for a 'shell' on feather palm pillars. Stella was nice enough to post to that thread with pictures, but I never did get back to the thread, but I really appreciated the advice. I now see she posted a new one with picts of her 'shell' pillars.

I'd like to share a few of mine - as I know many of you love to check out testings pics (as do I !!!) I've added comments to the images - makes it easier to explain what I mean directly on the imagery.

1. Gardenia - the wick was too big - was doing well at self-consuming, but then had a break out - so I gave up on this one as I knew the wick was too big anyway.

2. Black feather palm pillar - about 2 months old. FO: Best Friends; Wick: CDN12.

Testing not complete, but so far so good on the black one.

gardenia-pillar-1.jpg

black-pillar-1.JPG

black-20-burning.jpg

black-20-top%20%282%29.jpg

And now ready to start the burn for the 2nd day - I prefer to burn them for very long hours as I'm sure this is what most people would do.

Oh and the HT was terrific !

black-2nd-burn.JPG

Those are really pretty. I am burning one with a cd10 and is doing good. ordered some samples of CSN's also, have you tried those, any feedback. Thanks for the wonderful pictures, and contributing to the sickness:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:we all share.

Linda

thanks Linda - definitely a sickness :-)

I haven't used CSNs my suppliers don't carry those. I only have access to CDN and HTPs. Also a ACS - but I believe these may be made particularly for the supplier - so have no idea what they actually equate to. I have purchased a few sizes in the ACS, but these are for testing in my jars not the pillars. I like the way the CDN burns in the pillars - I'm not into all the technicalities about wick treatments etc., that Top is talking about in his testing threads - over my head - though it is interesting :-) I just know what is or isn't working for me so far :-) In any case I don't have access to any LXs either, so can't test those to compare with the CDNs - so have to use what is available to me.

The pillar has been burning for a few more hours now and all is good. I am rotating it to make sure the walls don't burn more on one side than the other, though even if it did burn more on one side, don't think I'd get a breakout - fingers crossed anyway - that's the purpose of this test :)

Edited by nadiap

Yes, they are 3" pillars.

I'm afraid to report that the black one also broke out right at the bottom. I was lying down due to a headache, so wasn't paying too much attention, so not sure why it broke out where it did, because the shell above it was just perfect - one weak spot led to a small fracture and that's where it blew :) The rest of the candle didn't collapse or anything either !

So now will have to test another, but make sure I pay more attention. Luckily I do have another ready to go.

You can only get the CSN's from Candle Science. CS had Wedo make these wicks specially for them. The CSNs were designed for use in palm wax.

Ah ok, thanks ! I guess I'll have to work around it then, the cost of freight on just shipping some wicks to Au, would be fairly prohibitive I'd think :-(