Look for the simple answer

I just wanted to encourage anyone who is having trouble with their candles not turning out and mention my recent experience.

I use 464 and have had good success melting it to 185 degrees, adding some CO and cooling to 135 to pour. All of a sudden and for no apparent reason I am dealing with air bubbles and "pot holes" all over my candles. I have changed the temperature of the room, the temperature I melted my wax, the temperature I heated my jars, tempered in more ways than I can count, took out dye, fragrance, jumped through many hoops and still could not get rid of the problem. I think I even started singing "This Little Light of Mine" for inspiration. I spent hours searching this forum for answers. It has been this way for about a month. Then my darling husband helped me discover the simple answer... I have two candy thermometers that are exactly alike- or so I thought. The newer one that I bought is registering 20 degrees cooler than the other!!!!! So I am actually only melting to 165 and pouring at 115- which was not working for me at all.

I say all that to say this: Look for the easy answers first before you get so frustrated you want to give up. And be patient- as I have seen on this forum, we that work with pure soy are like chocolatiers. And they can make some pretty cool stuff!:cool2:

JLynne

<*)))><

Edited by JLynne

I think I even started singing "This Little Light of Mine!"
GOTTA LOVE IT!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Look for the easy answers first before you get so frustrated you want to give up.

I think that's a quintessential example of Occam's razor. :D

Edited by Stella1952

Luckily I am not out to impress anyone. I have just seen so many threads from fellow candlemakers that seem ready to tear their hair out and have come to this community to see if someone somewhere can keep them from doing that. If my small post from my small corner of East Texas can help someone think of something they have not thought of before, then I praise the Lord! That is what I wanted to do.

JLynne

<*(((><

Its not that this doesn't take some time and patience together with a fair share of your hard earned money because it does. Its not that answers are always so easy to come by either. But its not rocket science here either. I applaud those that work so diligently to make a quality, safe product. That's a must but I read some of these threads, and that just makes me want to pull my hair out. lol