Palm pillars w/no wick pin

Here's some examples of our palm pillars and how we have been pouring a wax "cap" over the bottom to cover or "seal" in the wick.

The first 2 pictures shows how the wick burned down far enough that it melted the bottom enough to where when I picked the candle up, part of the wax was stuck to the plate it was on. Had it not been for that, I would have been pretty pleased with this burn.

3-5 pictures show a candle that we poured a cap on the bottom. We managed to get the layer blended in nicely. The wick just burned down and out on its own.

post-121-13945846332_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463322_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463325_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463328_thumb.jpg

post-121-13945846333_thumb.jpg

More examples.

1-2 shows a candle that the wick also just burned out. You can see the bottom and see a bit of the variation on the color for cap.

3-4 shows a candle we poured with 2 different layers using 2 different waxes. Both layers poured at different temps too to see what we'd get. We did not have enough left over to use for the cap so you can see a bit of the variation in the color.

post-121-139458463333_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463336_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463339_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463341_thumb.jpg

And some not so good blending in of the wax cap.

The first one here is where we waited way too long to pour. It ran down the sides. I don't like this look when the crystals come through. I think the crystals make for a more formal look so it doesn't work with the more rustic look when the wax runs down.

Sometimes, depending on the color, I don't mind if the color does not blend, But, we are getting better at it as we go along.

post-121-139458463344_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463347_thumb.jpg

post-121-13945846335_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463353_thumb.jpg

post-121-139458463355_thumb.jpg

I am thinking that if I cut the wick and then leave a slight concave I can pour into that without touching the sides. how much of a cap are you adding ? I may try tonight. I have to dip 60 stuffed bunnies this weekend so I am a bit busy . But i want to try . if I do I will post photos as well . I love this ...thanks so much. I wish I had a face to put to all these helpful people on this site . It's so weird I feel like we are all buddies . so helpful thanks again for allthe time in posting photos and everything

That's what I usually do with all my pillars. Before the final repour I always cut the wick so it's a bit covered by the wax and it doesn't show in the bottom of the pillars.

Since the final pour will cover everything I can mess a bit with the bottom if I need to go chasing the wick for some millimeter.

We do have a few that we did kind of scoop the wick out - down a little further under the wax and then just filled that it in. We're still playing to see which way we prefer. With some of the candles, I liked the small layer of a totally different color as well as the ones we were able to really blend in. But others, not so much. We are still working to see how thin we can pour the cap while still maintaining the wick.

We do have a few that we did kind of scoop the wick out - down a little further under the wax and then just filled that it in.

That's what I was envisioning. Even though the wax doesn't shrink like paraffin, I figured you could still get in there and cut the wick so it doesn't come down to the bottom.

That's what I was envisioning. Even though the wax doesn't shrink like paraffin, I figured you could still get in there and cut the wick so it doesn't come down to the bottom.

I still think you might need to put some more wax over the wick otherwise you have a small concave where you dug the wax out. I wonder what that would do if you don't fill in and the candle gets to to the bottom. I'm thinking it might still melt through unless you seal it in some how. I don't know though because we haven't just left the wick like that. We've always "sealed" it in.

question for you - I'm taking from your response that you've never poured a pillar or you've never poured a pillar and tried this with a wick?

I am sure you really get a kick out of some of us.
I DO! For me, finding the humour in any situation, particularly a frustrating one, saves LIVES and property damage!! :) Not only do I still struggle with issues that plague newcomers (and look downright RIDICULOUS in the process), I remember trying to figure out a lot of this stuff. There are so many little, bitty details involved with candlemaking that don't get mentioned! Some of our solutions and struggles to find solutions are downright comical! Together, we all learn from one another and we'll stumble through to more solid footing! :):yay::)

***musing about how ugly the scene may become when I try to wrestle a sock on a metal pillar mold or container... sounds like potential YouTube material***

Edited by Stella1952

Yep Meridith, I actually repour wax, not as you do with the "caps" but to fill the void left by relief holes and the cut of the wick.

We have not decided which method we like best yet. Still testing each way to make that determination. Heck we might even decide in the end to try the wick pins. lol At this point, were still open as to which way we'll end up going. I still need to get to the bottoms of the ones we've only filled in the void around the wick as opposed to pouring the cap before I can decide. We've tested the capped ones and so far so good, but because the other way is a bit quicker, that will be cool if we find it works just as well. :) We're just still too new to decide on some of this stuff.

We finally got the keeping the hole sealed from leaks so we don't lose half of the candle we've poured. That was a bit of a challenge too. :rolleyes2

Edited by Meridith
blasted typo

We finally got the keeping the hole sealed from leaks so we don't lose half of the candle we've poured. That was a bit of a challenge too.

I recall a particularly problematic pillar pour... The mold kept leaking no matter what we did, so we just kept recovering the leaked wax, remelting and pouring it in until FINALLY the danged thing quit leaking!! Talk about an UGLY MESS!! The pillar ended up looking great and performing well, but its birth was NOT a beautiful experience!! :undecided

I still think you might need to put some more wax over the wick otherwise you have a small concave where you dug the wax out.

question for you - I'm taking from your response that you've never poured a pillar or you've never poured a pillar and tried this with a wick?

Exactly. Cut it and pour in wax.

That's the way I make paraffin pillars. I don't do palm.