Testing system?

I was wondering, how do you test your candles? What type of system do you use? For example, do you decide to make a certain amount of candles with all the same variables, except for one thing, such as the wick, and then monitor the wicks on the candles and jot it down in your notebook?

Do you test several variables at once instead and look for the "best" candle, and begin eliminating the ones that are doing poorly, taking note of it's components (wick, type of wax, FO, jar size, etc.)

I would like to learn how to "test" the candles by using a structured approach...how do you test? :)

BTW I love your tag line, I do read binary :grin2:

For every wick/jar/FO/wax combination you want, you will need to test. For a certain type jar, lets use an 8 oz jelly jar. You would first like to decide what kind of wax you want to work with, get about ten lbs of it, and develop your heating and pouring technique, so that you can find the right pouring temperature to get your desired result. Once you get that down, then you can wick test.

To find which wick will work well in that jar in your wax of choice, you should have some sample packs of wicks you want to try. For me, I like HTP, LX, and RRD. You can ckick HERE for a wick recommendation chart, just to get started. You would set a different wick in each jar with plain wax, trim the wick, then light and burn for four hours. After four hours, extinguish and observe and record the melt pool diameter, the app depth, the condition of the wick, etc. You should let the candles cool completely, trim the wicks, and burn again for four hours, and repeat observations. You should do at least three burns. You should at least find three different wicks that work in the wax/jar setup. Ideally, what you're doing is getting a "starting point" wick for when you then want to add FO to your wax, then retest with the desired wick. You may need to wick up or down, depending on how it burns with FO in the wax.

I'm sure others will chime in, but basically its this:

1. Choose your wax and jar, then work with your heating and pouring technique.

2. Test to determine best wick(s) for your jar/wax combo.

3. Add your choice of FO to your wax and wick test again, changing to a hotter or cooler wick depending on the burn results.

4. Repeat for each jar/wick/FO combination you desire.

It is very time consuming, and you can go through alot of wick samples and wax, but if you want your candles to be safe and smell great, take your time and have fun, like we do! :P

BTW I love your tag line, I do read binary :grin2:

Hehe :)

Thanks everyone!!! This is exactly what I needed to "start out" with :) Awesome info geekrunner! Thanks lvnmt for the link!

Question: When completing the wax heating testing in step 1, after I like a temperature and wax combo, what do I do with the wax in the jar?

What do I do with the rest of the jars after I tested with wick? Do you throw the candle away? Do you reuse the jar for more testing?

Question: When completing the wax heating testing in step 1, after I like a temperature and wax combo, what do I do with the wax in the jar?

What do I do with the rest of the jars after I tested with wick? Do you throw the candle away? Do you reuse the jar for more testing?

If you are using soy wax (I assume you will be since you are in the veggie wax forum) you can then wick test by drilling a hole in the middle and insert your wick, rather than sticking one in before pouring. That way, if the wick choice does not work, you can let the candle cool, remove the wick with your handy-dandy pliers, and insert a different one! You may want to heat-gun the top after removing the wick, so you have a smooth top to start the other wick test.

When you are done with the jar and the wax, you can scoop it out with a knife or spoon and save it as scrap, or remelt and combine with new wax to do more wick testing on different jars. This save lots of money in wax! :yay: You won't want to reuse that wax for testing scent or using in a finished candle, since it may have bits of old burned wick and carbon and other dirt, but it could be saved and used for firestarters.

the geek has spoken!

If you are using soy wax (I assume you will be since you are in the veggie wax forum) you can then wick test by drilling a hole in the middle and insert your wick, rather than sticking one in before pouring. That way, if the wick choice does not work, you can let the candle cool, remove the wick with your handy-dandy pliers, and insert a different one! You may want to heat-gun the top after removing the wick, so you have a smooth top to start the other wick test.

When you are done with the jar and the wax, you can scoop it out with a knife or spoon and save it as scrap, or remelt and combine with new wax to do more wick testing on different jars. This save lots of money in wax! :yay: You won't want to reuse that wax for testing scent or using in a finished candle, since it may have bits of old burned wick and carbon and other dirt, but it could be saved and used for firestarters.

the geek has spoken!

Awesome! Thank you very much for the help :)

That old wax from your testers - here is what I do with it:

I save my old jars - pickle jars are super -

Wash well and remove label -

When I test my testers ;) I do Not stick the wick (just do as above and pock a hole for size testing) - SO there is NO metel base - and this jar can now go into the microwave for melting the left-over wax.

When this is melted I pour into the Pickle Jar.

I will get interesting layers and fragrances - but I use these finished candles for "hurricane" candles = when we loose the power during hurricane season here in FL.

Perfect to be able to let them burn in the bathroom and not worry about fire - and I can now see my way. I can also just let them burn in a dark room (while I am awake) and not have to turn on any lights to find the potty :P

It doesn't matter to me if I have "bits" in them as they are just for me. But I don't feel I am thowing away perfectly good wax.

TeeHee - I have even given some to family and friends as they liked the idea and the interesting look.