Impulse Buy - Now What?!? lol

I was on the Candles and Supplies website and saw the most adorable ceramic frog that I thought would be great for citronella candles. Of course, I have never made citronella candles and I usually try to investigate containers before I go ahead and buy!

Has anyone used these containers for citronella candles? I need to order wicks also - any clue what size wick I would need if using Harmony 4630 wax? Do you believe the container is safe for this?

I realize it is on a candle making site, but I trust Candletech members to know if it is REALLY safe! :cheesy2:

Jane

Edited by Jane42

Usually, the *idea* of a citronella candle is to create smoke to put out as much scent as possible & create a larger barrier from bugs. The easiest way to create smoke is to twist several wicks together to create a large flame & smoke. Keep in mind that large flame will also generate a lot more heat on the container. I took a look at your frog & it's a large container - 16oz, I think. I'd be willing to give it a try for my own use, but keep in mind you run the risk of cracking the container, especially when you're near the end of the burn. Ceramic is generally not a stable choice for containers ... just too many variables. If you're just really attached to that container, then I'd suggest you wick it as normal & not expect it to do more than be decorative.

As far as selling it as a citronella ... I wouldn't. There's a reason you usually see citronella's poured in metal or terra cotta type containers. Even with warnings, people would expect a lot more durability in an outdoor candle. Also consider what might happen if water came in contact w/ that hot container -- that bad-boy is going to break!

Food for thought -- Susan.

A lot of people do overwick to create smoke, but if you use a good scent that repels bugs, you don't need to overwick to smoke people out!! I've been using an EO blend and my regular wicks on my containers for years to rid bugs and sell a ton without the smoking. :cool2:

I could see filling it with decorative gravels or glass beads around a glass votive holder? You could do a container candle if you didn't intend for the melt pool to be totally across the diameter of the container. Its kind of frustrating that there isn't a descriptive purpose on this item. I have to agree that most ceramic doesn't hold up well to high temps.

Usually, the *idea* of a citronella candle is to create smoke to put out as much scent as possible & create a larger barrier from bugs. The easiest way to create smoke is to twist several wicks together to create a large flame & smoke. Keep in mind that large flame will also generate a lot more heat on the container. I took a look at your frog & it's a large container - 16oz, I think. I'd be willing to give it a try for my own use, but keep in mind you run the risk of cracking the container, especially when you're near the end of the burn. Ceramic is generally not a stable choice for containers ... just too many variables. If you're just really attached to that container, then I'd suggest you wick it as normal & not expect it to do more than be decorative.

As far as selling it as a citronella ... I wouldn't. There's a reason you usually see citronella's poured in metal or terra cotta type containers. Even with warnings, people would expect a lot more durability in an outdoor candle. Also consider what might happen if water came in contact w/ that hot container -- that bad-boy is going to break!

Food for thought -- Susan.

Excellent advice. I too would wonder if the ceramic could handle the heat, since you would be using a bigger wick recomended for that diamerter, in order to create smoking. Most citronella candles are made in tins or thick walled glass/ceramic jars.