Coloring Bath Bombs??

gloworm

What do you all use as coloring for bath bombs? I tried a few drops of liquid and it really didn't do anything. Then I tried a tiny bit of ultramarine and got a very pale color which is nice. For darker color would you recommend just more ultramarine? Didn't want to over do (mine came with no instructions on usage at all). Maybe I should have added it to the Fo?? Any tips??

Glo

I'm not an expert on bath bombs, or anything. But I just made some this past weekend and I say if you want your bombs to be darker use more ultramarine, but u don't have to take my word for it...as I'm still new to this too!! :)

When I colored my bath bombs I used an FDA approved food coloring in a blue powdery form. I only put a little in at first but I didn't get the color I wanted, so I added a little more than I was able to get the blue hue that I desired.

I hope this helps santa chee !!!

Thanks. I wish my powdered colors had come with at least a little label info. Got from WSP and they are not marked or labeled in any way. I added them dry to my CP and that didn't work. Now I think you have to add them to a liquid or oil first. But with the bombs I suppose that might make them start to fizz.

I have been using gel food coloring like cake decorators use. Buy it at walmart (or any hobby store) in the craft section. Works pretty good. I buy the wilton brand. I have been mixing in with the ingredients as i mix in the wet ingredients, but i think this next batch i am going to mix it in with the water before it goes into the dry.

HTH, terri

Be careful which ultramarines you use, when blue ultramarine hits citric acid, it produces a horrid sulpher smell. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes2 I dont know if any other colours react this way yet , but im off to get some cake decorator gel this morning.

Be careful which ultramarines you use, when blue ultramarine hits citric acid, it produces a horrid sulpher smell. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes2 I dont know if any other colours react this way yet , but im off to get some cake decorator gel this morning.

Melly,

Do you mean when you mix it or when it goes in the tub??

As soon as the citric hits the mix. Its NASTY. I was gagging the whole time I tried to mold them ( I figured maybe it was because i was pouring chestnuts and brown sugar and making ocean mist bath bombs) I finally threw the whole mess out.