shea lotion

pmurphyfan

I have been searching and searching and reading and reading so forgive me if I am asking a question that may have the answer out there.........

If I want to make a lighter shea lotion (and oils of course)with water where do I find the calculations as to how to do this? I know (obviously) I may/will want to change things up but I am looking for a general starting point.

Of course! I wiped everything down with clorox wipes and THEN I used alcohol spray on the same things, twice actually. I followed kidsngarden's directions for that in the tutorial. I will of course peruse those sites as well.

Thank you, I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm so glad I found this forum.

I also want to add that every single item I use to measure, mix, scoop etc etc has been newly purchased specifically for the purpose of making lotion or m&p soap. I store everything in bins. I also sanitize everything as soon as I am done as well (and again when I take it out to use it). I assume this would be appropriate procedure. If there is something I am missing I for sure need someone to tell me because I really want to perfect this. Thanks :cheesy2:

That is what I do with my lotion making tools etc. I don't think you can be to careful when it comes to have an immaculately clean space and utensils when you make lotions or creams etc.

I am glad to hear that you do it that way, I can't bring myself to buy handmade lotion on etsy etc. I just don't know how or where they made it. I can't buy baking at a craft sale for the same reason. I might be a little OCD but it works for me.

In addition to using spic and span utensils, containers and workspace you should cover your hair and make sure there is nothing on your clothing that can float into the ingredients. I even bought a lab type coat that is only worn when I work. When my allergies are bad I wear a mask too. I also wear gloves and touch nothing with my bare hands. I look like such a nerd...ha!

What I was specifically talking about though is boiling and holding the water phase at proper temp...important to pre-kill any nasties in the water.

I was actually thinking I should net my hair. I also am going to purchase the alcohol wipes because those will be way more sterile than alcohol w/ paper towels. I have gloves but I didn't use them Wednesday because I wanted to get the hang of what I was doing first and since I am not selling what I just made I stuck with hand washing and lots of clorox or alcohol.

Do you store your lab coat with your materials?

@ Kitn

That makes sense to me, especially after all the reading I have been doing.

I would be hesitant as well.

That is the same deal as the block party when you do the community table. I NEVER eat what other people make. If I have no idea what your kitchen looks like I can't do it. Obviously I don't mean how it's decorated either LOL.

Oh and ah-soy, I made certain I found several sources to read up on about the temp/length etc of all the ingredients. I didn't leave anything alone, I was trapped in my kitchen FORever. There is absolutely positively no way I can do this on the weekend when my family is home. I have to do this while they are in school.

Edited by pmurphyfan

I KNOW I look like a freak when I make lotion!! lol. I am really lucky that my husband works in a clean room environment (Hes an electronics technician and they work on microchips that cant be exposed to ANYTHING) so he helped me out alot in my process.

So for lotion making, I bought a stainless steel cart with wheels and all my materials live on that cart. I wear a full mask he brought me from work, its called a cleanroom hood. It has an opening for my face, but is a hood that goes over the rest of my head and down onto my neck so my hair is completely covered. I change my top before I go into the room, and wear a lab coat. I know I look totally nuts, lol.

We have cats, but they are under no circumstance allowed in my workroom, so that helps... but I still have to sanitize every time, so I wipe down all surfaces with alcohol wipes we buy from a medical supply company and the stainless is SO nice to work on because I can see any spots I may have missed!

After I sanitize my tools I put them into clean storage bags, than again into clean plastic tubs, and when I am going to use them I spray them with alcohol and let them dry first. So far, I haven't had a problem with anything!

I honestly dislike lotion making because of this, it takes so much time because once I put myself in that room I dont leave until its done... typically I do it at night after the kids are long asleep and hubby is at work. But I love the results... so I keep doing it. Its a decent seller at shows.

from scratch, for me, and always with preservative. It gives me the skeevies when I see people selling preservative free lotions!!

I do a whipped shea butter, and I used to do two other lotions but now I only do one other lotion, one body butter thats by special order only, and then a scrub.

I also make some balms, and solid lotion bars.. and I use the same sanitizing techniques for those, just in case.

I wish I had a workroom, that would be ideal. Using the small area I have in the kitchen is a complete pain. Do you have an oven in your workroom as well?

I am for sure going to get a lab coat and a hair net and a mask.

I have a hot plate - for double boiling, microwave (found it used on craiglist for free!), and presto pots for my candle making, and a crock pot. Then I have a small fridge I also found used for about 20 bucks, one of those mini fridges, for storing certain oils, FO's, EO's, and my distilled water. It took a long time to aquire it all, but its worth it now that its all here! I am lucky with the workroom, its actually my daughters bedroom but shes only 3 and she sleeps in my sons room - who's 5 - by choice.... so until she claims it back its mine :) Other bonus is it has a bathroom attached... so that makes it easier on me when I lock myself in there, lol!

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I am really lucky for my workspace. My house has two kitchens and the basement kitchen is my candle kitchen. Has a full sized fridge and a stove. The pantry is small but it is great for holding bulky items and the kitchen cupboards are great for my FO bottles. Keeps them dark and it stays cool down there all year long. I just finished making a curtain to hang across the entrance to it and the kids all know that it is off limits!!

from scratch, for me, and always with preservative. It gives me the skeevies when I see people selling preservative free lotions!!

I do a whipped shea butter, and I used to do two other lotions but now I only do one other lotion, one body butter thats by special order only, and then a scrub.

I also make some balms, and solid lotion bars.. and I use the same sanitizing techniques for those, just in case.

Which preservative do you use for your body butter and do you use the same preservative for your lotions?

I was considering using germall plus liquid but I wasn't sure if I can use it in body butter. I was going to buy it from WSP but it is $17 for 16oz. They don't sell it in a smaller amt which is a bummer. I will have that bottle forever!

Which preservative do you use for your body butter and do you use the same preservative for your lotions?

I was considering using germall plus liquid but I wasn't sure if I can use it in body butter. I was going to buy it from WSP but it is $17 for 16oz. They don't sell it in a smaller amt which is a bummer. I will have that bottle forever!

I use GPL too, I get it from thesage.com, because I live pretty close so I can pick up my orders.

Thanks Luminous boutique!

I am checking out their website now:)

Hmm, I guess I may as well buy the big 16oz size for $17 with my other supplies on WSP...if I buy the smallest amt for $7 (at sage) then add 11 S&H I am up to $18 anyway.:confused:

They have nice containers at the sage:)