Need Help!!

Dee

Help! Followed the same formula as usual and unmolded my mottled candles this morning and the finish on them is nicely mottled but dull. I mean really dull.

My FO was Blackberry Sage. Had this happen along time ago when I used mottling oil (didn't use any this time). Don't want to make anymore until I know what happened. The only thing that is different is that I used a brand new bottle of FO from PEAKS. Also I didn't warm the oil first (usually I put it in a glass container and stand it in warm water).. I did warm the molds with my heat gun, as usual. The molds were wrapped and I cooled them slowly. My heated shop was cozy and warm, even though its very cold outside.

Did you have any seepage of oil when you unmolded them? The reason I ask is when I use 4045 wax (not 4045H), I use 1.5 of FO, 1 tsp vybar 343 per lb of wax and when I unmold them I have no seepage of oil whatsoever and the appearance is a little on the dull side but I get great mottling. Did you use 4045 or vybar 343?

Sometimes you just need to rub the crud off the outside, especially if it mottled a lot and you're using stearic. You might be surprised just how much needs to be removed and what's underneath. Getting different results with different FOs is something you should expect. They have different chemicals in them and have wildly varying effect on the wax.

Sorry for not responding to your efforts to help yesterday. The sliding thingy that holds my computer keyboard came loose and my keyboard fell and a couple of keys broke. Had to wait until last night to buy a new one.:mad:

Anyway, I think I found the problem. Earlier this week I was messing around with three types of wax 1245, 1274 and 1242 (due to another thread on the board). Went back and looked at the slab of wax I used to make the candles on Wednesday and put it beside a new slab of 1245.Iit didn't look quite the same. I think I may have mixed up the waxes and used 1274 or 1242. So I went and made another candle using 1245 and the same formula (3tbsp steric, 1 oz FO and uv). The surface of the 1254 was shinier and quite mottled (almost too much). Not usually so careless with the wax. I usually mark each slab as I take it out of the box, but this time I didn't. Guess the next thing is to try with 1242 and 1274 and compare the results. Hate to waste expensive FO though.

Anyway thanks for your help:)