Scale Question

Okay, I bought a scale on eBay to measure out everything when I'm making my candles. I don't think I bought the right kind though.....maybe if I can explain someone can lead me in the right direction? I've searched through many threads and haven't seen this discussed.

The scale I bought, you set something on it, it gives you the weight. You can tare, add something, and it gives you that weight. BUT.....it doesn't let you add and see the total weight at the same time...does this make sense? Like, I have my glass cup on it, it gives me 4.4 oz. Add some FO, set it back on, now it says 5.6 oz. Okay, this is too much. So I take a little out, but the scale doesn't adjust the weight at the same time.....you have to take the cup off, reset it, and put it back on to get a weight. So I am constantly taking the cup off, adding or taking out a dropper full of FO, then reweighing it.

I just remember like in Chemistry classes in college, you could have something on the scale, see the weight, add a little more, and the scale adjusted at the same time....does this make sense?? Did I just buy the wrong type of scale or is this what you have to do? :confused: TIA

Some scales "fix" the weight after a few moments. Some have an adjustment for that. Some are more sensitive than others, or maybe you just have to add/subtract more quickly before the weight "fixes."

So why wouldn't you put the cup on the scale, tare, then add FO to the desired weight without taking the container off the scale? When I do that, I simply add FO until the desired amount has been reached and we're all good.

BUT.....it doesn't let you add and see the total weight at the same time...does this make sense
I don't know of any inexpensive scales that show you the total weight AND the tared weight at the same time! And I don't know why I would want to know that anyway... :confused:What I'd want to know is the weight of the FO I added to the container...

Yes, I guess that is what I'm asking.....my scale doesn't "fix" or "update" the weight after I add in something. For instance, if I have my cup with FO in it, it will give me that weight.....if I see that I don't have enough FO, I can add some, but my scale doesn't "update" to give me the new weight. I have to take the cup off, turn on/off, then put cup back on to get new weight with the FO I have added. So then, if it's over, I have to take it off, take some out, put it back on.....it's just very tedious, so I was wondering if there are scales that DO update as you add FO or wax. As in, if my cup is on there with maybe .9 oz in it....and I need 1 oz...well, I can add 5 drops, but that might not be enough, or maybe too much. Without being able to see what the scale does as I add the drops in, I'm just guessing. It doesn't continually adjust as you add or take weight away. Basically, does anyone have one like this, and would they be willing to share brand, or where they got it.

Hope this makes sense!

Edited by megfarwell

I work in a research lab at the UVA and our scales do what you are talking about. You can add a little of a chemical at a time and the scale will adjust. It also will adjust as you take a little off at a time, like you said if you add too much and go over your desired weight. I am thinking that the scales that you used in chemistry and I know the ones we use at the university are very expensive and accurate. We have to have them re calibrated ever year also. I guess the cheaper ones don't have all the fancy stuff. Just what I think though who knows!

I ordered my scale from ebay too. Mine does the same thing, but it's not that big of a problem for me. Don't know much amout the kind of scale u are looking for, but I just wanted to let u know that if u pour your fragrance directly into your pour pot you'll save on your fragrance. I was pouring in a cup and found my self loosing fragrance left over in the cup.

...at the risk of repeating...

So why wouldn't you put the cup on the scale, weigh, tare, then add FO to the desired weight without taking the container off the scale?
Are you saying that if you do the above that the actual weight of the FO you add doesn't record?:confused: If so, sounds like something isn't working right... :undecided
I just wanted to let u know that if u pour your fragrance directly into your pour pot you'll save on your fragrance. I was pouring in a cup and found my self loosing fragrance left over in the cup.
I agree. I always add FO directly to the pour pot before I add the wax. Less stuff to clean up.

I have THIS ONE. Works great. Only time it ever gets squirrelly is when the batteries need replacing... have you checked yours? Ya never know... ;)

Here's a site with nearly every kind of scales under the sun, I think. :)

Old Will Knott Scales

Edited by Stella1952

Some scales don't work properly if you add or remove weight very gradually or in scall increments. The electronics can interpret this as noise and try to stabilize the reading, throwing it off.

It seems that some scales are susceptible to this and some aren't. Unfortunately, it sounds as though yours may have a big problem with it.

I wonder if you really have to turn it off and on again. If you take the container off the scale, add some FO to it and put it back on the scale, do you get a correct reading?

Thanks to everyone who replied! Yes, I think my scale is just not sensitive enough to adjust to the small amounts of FO I'm adding. I guess I shouldn't have cheaped out and bought one on eBay :rolleyes2 I'll be checking out the links everyone posted, I'm sure I can find what I'm looking for. Thanks again!