I tried RTCP

crystal80

I know that I am a newbie, but I like experimenting, hey, why not? just once in blue moon.... It was blue yesterday.....

Not only did I tried RTCP, but I also made my own recipe *hiding*

and I used a 3" pipe :(, puff, puff...

My main complaint is that the soap is a little soft to the touch. I added one teaspoon of sodium lactate to the lye (I read it suppose to make soap harder).

The process was fine, I am wondering if my recipe was whack. I was trying to use the soapcalc, but couldn't quite figured out. Now after patiently taking a look at it, I know how to work it out, little late.

this is part of what I did with it: 19 oz. of aloe vera juice

7.3oz. lye

1 teaspoon of sodium lactate, 1.9 oz fo

#√Oil/Fat%PoundsOuncesGrams 1Almond Oil, sweet3.920.125256.6992Avocado Oil3.920.125256.6993Castor Oil5.880.188385.0484Coconut Oil, 76 deg23.530.7512340.1945Olive Oil17.650.5639255.1466Palm Kernel Oil/Flakes23.530.7512340.1947Safflower Oil17.650.5639255.1468Shea Butter3.920.125256.699 Totals1003.188511445.825 transparent.gif

Hardness 29 - 54 42 Cleansing 12 - 22 30 Conditioning 44 - 69 51 Bubbly 14 - 46 35 Creamy 16 - 48 17 Iodine 41 - 70 62 INS 136 - 165 148 Lauric 22 Myristic 8 Palmitic 9 Stearic 3 Ricinoleic 5 Oleic 28 Linoleic 17 Linolenic 0

To tell you the truth, the recipe is not so good.

The backbone of a recipe is an animal or vegetable tallow, most commonly lard, beef fat or palm oil. That's entirely missing from your recipe except for the shea butter, which is only a small percentage. You want to have a large percentage of this kind of oil.

The animal or vegetable tallow can be balanced out with an oleic oil to soften the recipe a bit if desired. Most commonly you would use olive oil. Your oleic oils (olive, almond, acovado) add up to 25%. That part would be fine if the rest wasn't off.

Some kind of lauric oil (generally coconut or palm kernel) is usually added to help create bubbles, but to make a mild soap it should not generally exceed 30%. Yours is approaching 50% of the recipe.

Linoleic oils like safflower are not generally good for soaping. In certain recipes they could be helpful in small amounts, but overall they are oils to avoid. This recipe has almost 18% safflower oil, which is a lot.

You could expect this recipe to be soft at first. Eventually it will harden up. The combination of coconut and pko along with the safflower will make it very drying. To see how that works, wash and dry your hands, wait 15 minutes, then see how much tigher your skin feels when you flex your fingers.

Forget the sodium lactate at this point. The important thing is to brush up on your recipe formulation. With a good recipe you won't need it.

Thank you for all that information Supa Star.

I thought PKO was not too different from PO. I have done so much reading and still so much too learn. Like I said it was too late by the time I learned how to use soapcalc.

Do I trash the soap?

Thank you again for the information. I think I am going to be a little more careful with my experiments for now on.

Palm oil and PKO are different. One way to play with different oils is to go to soapcalc and enter just palm oil, 100%. Look at the numbers and see what they do, then change it to 100% pko and see the difference. Do this with many different oils and you'll start to learn more about the properties.

Have you read this? How to build a soap recipe

Bunny posted that several years ago and it is quite helpful.

Palm oil and PKO are different. One way to play with different oils is to go to soapcalc and enter just palm oil, 100%. Look at the numbers and see what they do, then change it to 100% pko and see the difference. Do this with many different oils and you'll start to learn more about the properties.

Have you read this? How to build a soap recipe

Bunny posted that several years ago and it is quite helpful.

I just read it, and it is great information. Thank you all so much.

I will see how my soap will come out in 4 weeks and let you all know.