Soy Wax from Gateway

Hi all.....well, I've been stalking these forums for about a month now :tiptoe: so I figured it was about time to introduce myself and ask a few questions I had. Right now, I haven't even poured one candle, but I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible first!

I was hoping someone would be willing to share their costs of wax from Gateway. I had read a post from about 2 years ago that said they got their wax from there, and it was about $52 per 50 lb case shipping included (and this person was also from Indiana). :shocked2: Based on all the comparison shopping I've been doing, that seems like a GREAT price.....at this point I don't really even care what KIND of wax it is (just definitely soy, no blends), I would just love to be able to not pay shipping, or if I do have to ship, keep the costs as low as possible. Well, I contacted Kris for a quote on the GB435, and she gave me $78....which really isn't too bad, about the same I had seen everywhere else, it's just definitely more than the other thread was. Is it probably just the 2 years that have gone by? Or are some of their other waxes cheaper there?

I could *probably* get some wax from KY Candle Supply.....my parents live about 30 minutes from there, so I might be able to pick some up anytime they come to see me or anytime I go down there.....but I'm not sure how consistently that would happen.

Or, does anyone else have a supplier from Indiana that they pick up from? I know about MC, but unfortunately, you can't pick up from there. Thanks for all the good info I've been reading so far! I've got some FO's and wicks on the way from Bert's, just need to get some wax and containers so I can starting pouring and testing! :yay:

Edited by megfarwell

I buy my wax from Gateway, but I buy it at 500 lbs an order. If you order 200 lbs or more from most places, the shipping will be cheaper cause of the higher weight.

Also, don't forget that when most places buy, it is in truckloads. So the pricing will be based on what they paid for that truckload not for one they may be ordering that day. That is one of the reasons for the slight fluctuations in prices on the same wax from different people.

If you are only ordering a single case, your cost will be a lot higher than if you buy 200 lbs.

$70. something dollars is about $20 too much per case. Unless shipping is included. I use 435 and pay under $50 per case, lucky for me I can pick up. I'm sure you could call around to get wax and shipping for that price plus add some FO. Maybe get a sample of the wax first and try it. You might not like it.

Thanks for all the replies! Yes, the $78 was with shipping included. That is really about in line with everywhere else I've checked, I had just seen that thread where someone was getting it for $52 with shipping included....but that was 2 years ago, so I guess the costs have just risen over time.

And thank you, thank you, thank you for telling me about Bluegrass!! I had seen other threads about them when they were still in Kentucky, I had no idea they had moved to Indiana. They're only about 15 minutes away from me, so it looks like I know where I'll be getting my wax. :yay::yay::yay:

They only carry one kind of wax (GB 415), but since I'm only starting out, I can LEARN to work with it if I can get it that close! From what I've gathered here on the boards......there isn't really one wax that is better than the others, they all have their little quirks. So if you can get one close and don't have to pay shipping, make it work for you.

They only carry one kind of wax (GB 415), but since I'm only starting out, I can LEARN to work with it if I can get it that close! From what I've gathered here on the boards......there isn't really one wax that is better than the others, they all have their little quirks. So if you can get one close and don't have to pay shipping, make it work for you.

You may want to do some research on "tempering" your wax. This is where you melt the wax, let it cool, reheat, add FO & pour. Do a search, it should get you going.

Edited by IwantItgreen

Yeah, I've read quite a bit about that already. I think I'm going to pour a few first without adding anything other than my FO or tempering, just to see what they do. Then I'll probably try tempering just to see what effect it has.

So, is pure soy softer than some of the other soy waxes (i.e. 435 has cottonseed oil, C3 has an additive)?

Now if my dang shipments would just hurry up and get here.....:angry2:

415 is the wax i use..i tested many waxes...and finally made my decision, to stick with 415..and work thru it's issues...

i also tested about every wick available and choose cd wick..

i also with 415 tried many different additives..in different ways...there again i also decided after much testing...to not add anything..

what i have learned..is to pour when starting to get slushy...

i heat to 175..add my fo...stir 3 min..stir every once in a while until ready to pour..if the tops are not quite right..i hit it with the heat gun..

i will tell you soy is finicky when it comes to fo's having good ht...

but when you do find one it will throw very good..

so don't get discouraged if you go thru several fo's finding those that suit your idea of a great ht...

also, don't do what i did...start testing with just any jar you have...

all of sudden you will realize you want a certain jar..and you will have to test wick sizes all over again...so my advice, find a jar you like and do all your testing in the jar you will be using...

but it sounds like you have it made with a supplier right close to you.....you are lucky...

oh...also be sure you have plenty of money...before you start...because, you are going to be spending money like never before...:laugh2:you will never be satisfied with 10 fo samples...you will want 20 more..

also try to make sure delivery days are when your husband it not at home...:yay:

i am sure if you don't understand all i am saying right now you will in 6 months...:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

good luck...and have lots of fun..

i hope maybe i saved you hours of time..by giving you some advice..that i learned the hard way...:)

edited to say...i am sure you will find many tricks to make things eaier that i didn't find...but that is the fun of learning..

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES

Right now, I think DH just would love me to start POURING candles so I would shut up :lipsrseal about all the different wicks, and waxes, and containers, and if I can drive to pick them up, and how much FO to add.....well, you get my point. :D

I don't think he understands all my chatter will only INCREASE once I start actually doing this! I might need to get a separate credit card from him...Hmmm.....

Megfarwell you stated that you received a price from Kris with shipping at $78, what company is Kris with?

and Sharon in Northern Kentucky, you stated that you are able to pick your 435 wax up. where?

I am in very southern Indiana and use to pick up at alabaster in kentucky, but now that they have closed their kentucky warehouse I have to pay shipping:angry2:!!! I uses gw464.

I have also heard that 464 and 435 are the exact same. What is your opinion?

Thank you

Megfarwell you stated that you received a price from Kris with shipping at $78, what company is Kris with?

and Sharon in Northern Kentucky, you stated that you are able to pick your 435 wax up. where?

I am in very southern Indiana and use to pick up at alabaster in kentucky, but now that they have closed their kentucky warehouse I have to pay shipping:angry2:!!! I uses gw464.

I have also heard that 464 and 435 are the exact same. What is your opinion?

thank you

Dawn,

Kris is with Gateway Food Products in Illinois. They have several different waxes, 464 being one of them. www.gatewayfoodproducts.com They don't have their prices listed online, so I just used their "Contact Us" form to ask, and Kris e-mailed me back within 24 hours.

I'm going to try using 415 simply because I will be able to pick it up (in Indianapolis). Don't know which side (east or west) of Indiana you're on, I'm assuming pretty central if you drove to Alabaster which was in Louisville, right? I know Candlemaker's Store in Cincinnati sells 464....that might be the closest for you.....but not if you are in the southwestern part of IN obviously.

I don't think 435 and 464 are the same......435 has cottonseed oil, and 464 has some additive, but I don't think it's that. HTH :)

Dawn,

Kris is with Gateway Food Products in Illinois. They have several different waxes, 464 being one of them. www.gatewayfoodproducts.com They don't have their prices listed online, so I just used their "Contact Us" form to ask, and Kris e-mailed me back within 24 hours.

I'm going to try using 415 simply because I will be able to pick it up (in Indianapolis). Don't know which side (east or west) of Indiana you're on, I'm assuming pretty central if you drove to Alabaster which was in Louisville, right? I know Candlemaker's Store in Cincinnati sells 464....that might be the closest for you.....but not if you are in the southwestern part of IN obviously.

I don't think 435 and 464 are the same......435 has cottonseed oil, and 464 has some additive, but I don't think it's that. HTH :)

Picking up your wax is a smart thing. Only 15 min away, how lucky is that. I really like some of BG's FO's so next you might check in That section to see what throws good in soy from them.

I get 435 from The Candlemakers store and buy by the skid. And as far as 435 and 464 being the same, I can't say but my 435 has changed with the last several batches I've bought. Sets up good when pouring hot, now what the hell is that? And it's leeking oil, only had that problem once in a while but now it's been going on for at least 4 months and 3-4 different batch dates. I might go back to 415 myself.

DAWNBYRNE Sharon in Northern Kentucky, you stated that you are able to pick your 435 wax up. where?

I am in very southern Indiana and use to pick up at alabaster in kentucky.

Candlemakers is near Hamilton, OH so if your close that would save a bunch.

8-GRAN-ONES 415 is the wax i use..i tested many waxes...and finally made my decision, to stick with 415..and work thru it's issues...

Are you having any issues with seeping of oil?

Edited by Sharon in KY

no...and i normally use between 1 to 1.5oz. per lb..

are you having trouble?

I'm having trouble with 435 seeping, I usually use 1.5 pp, so I have cut down a little but doesn't seem to help. Going to get wax on Monday so think I'll pick up a couple of cases of 415. Then again it has to be something I'm doing to cause the seeping cause my sister also uses the same wax, FO and colors but doesn't have any problems. It might be different air temps and humidity but I've been working in the same space, nothing has changed, for over 9 years. It's driving me nuts, too much added work that I don't have time to mess with.