migraine oils?

my friend Dan suffers from migranes and asked if I could make him a blend of EO's that would help in a roller.. I would never try to sell something like that because I dont want to be accused of making medical claims BUT I would like to help Dan out and send a few his way.. does anyone know what that blend is? He lives 1500 miles away so I cant test it on him but I would send him a few versions if thats what it takes; His are so bad that he cant work and I really want to help.

I seem to remember it being peppermint, lavender, and maybe lemon... but I cant find any of my aromatherapy or essential oil books.. pretty sure that box never made it here when we moved.

Anyone know?

According to a book I have, aromatherapy is better used as a preventative measure for treating migraines.

A cold compress made with equal proportions of lavender and peppermint oils might work on the temples or forehead and marjoram on the back.

That's not me making a diagnoises, just what's in my book.

According to a book I have, aromatherapy is better used as a preventative measure for treating migraines.

A cold compress made with equal proportions of lavender and peppermint oils might work on the temples or forehead and marjoram on the back.

That's not me making a diagnoises, just what's in my book.

Thats it! I could not for the life of me remember majoram.. some websites suggested basil too. Poor guy gets massages, takes meds, and even does accupuncture. He calls his headaches "tony" and it causes some real confusion on his facebook updates "tony is kicking my ass today" "Tony wont leave.." lol.

thanks guys!

I am so glad someone brought this up. My coworker suffers from severe migraines weekly. She's on everything, from adjusting her progesterone, diet, caffeine, etc... Nothing seems to work.

I'll put this "bug" in her ear.

I had severe migraines as a teenager, but I took meds. Haven't had them since my late teens, thank goodness!

Any other ideas?

Basil, Sage and mint from BCN really did dissipate any headaches I had. It's not EO form, but basil is supposed to be helpful forr mental and physical fatigue that helps ease sinus congestion and headaches. I did learn that in Chicago years ago.

Sage is one EO you have to be careful in using, because it can cause eplileptic fits or convulsions. Because of the dangers of Sage, clary sage is used as it is said to be less toxic. It's used for stress and tension and relaxes muscles, which is said to make it more useful for those who suffer from migraines as well, according to one book I have.

The mint part (in the BSM FO) ... I'm not inclined to think it was peppermint used, but can't be sure if it was spearmint or cornmint actually. Perhaps it was a dummied down mint, but it's present and gives off a refreshing scent. By smell alone with that FO, if I were going to try it in an EO blend, I would probably opt for cornmint, which isn't as distinctive as peppermint or spearmint (IMO).

Mints help with nausea (and migraines can certainly bring that on) and tend to uplifting and refreshing in nature. Spearmint is thought to be sweeter than peppermint. Cornmint just smells like a mint to me with no real distinction. Cornmint acts as a regulator and as a sedative, according to what's online.

Basil, Sage and mint from BCN really did dissipate any headaches I had. It's not EO form, but basil is supposed to be helpful forr mental and physical fatigue that helps ease sinus congestion and headaches. I did learn that in Chicago years ago.

Sage is one EO you have to be careful in using, because it can cause eplileptic fits or convulsions. Because of the dangers of Sage, clary sage is used as it is said to be less toxic. It's used for stress and tension and relaxes muscles, which is said to make it more useful for those who suffer from migraines as well, according to one book I have.

The mint part (in the BSM FO) ... I'm not inclined to think it was peppermint used, but can't be sure if it was spearmint or cornmint actually. Perhaps it was a dummied down mint, but it's present and gives off a refreshing scent. By smell alone with that FO, if I were going to try it in an EO blend, I would probably opt for cornmint, which isn't as distinctive as peppermint or spearmint (IMO).

Mints help with nausea (and migraines can certainly bring that on) and tend to uplifting and refreshing in nature. Spearmint is thought to be sweeter than peppermint. Cornmint just smells like a mint to me with no real distinction. Cornmint acts as a regulator and as a sedative, according to what's online.

Oh yes they really do. Ginger too.... when I was pregnant I ate mint leaves every morning to combat nausea and had mint oils in a diffuser, it helped a ton.

I'll have to test my finished blend on myself after the week I've had, lol