Crock pot for cphp soap making ?

*Dee*

what is the best size to get ? i am looking online at walmart and i see a 7 qt one for 30.00 that one onf the walmarts near me is supposed to have in stock. also if you know of somewhere i can get one cheaper let me know.

and does the pound size equal the crock pot size ?

like 3 pounds would fit in a 3 quart ? 5 and 5, 6 and 6 7 and 7 and so forth ? i want to make sure whatever one i have will be big enough for bigger batched once i get the hang of it.

also i have been reading that the new crockpots the temps are hotter and people are finding they have to use the keep warm or the low settings because of the temps? anyone know anything about it ?

and final questions, when should the FO be added ? after trace or stirred in before you mold ? and is it recommended 1 oz pp ?

and finally, when you pour into the mold, should you still cover the mold like you would cp soap ? what about insulating the mold ?

thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions, but those are the ones searching really isnt helping me answer.

what is the best size to get ? i am looking online at walmart and i see a 7 qt one for 30.00 that one onf the walmarts near me is supposed to have in stock. also if you know of somewhere i can get one cheaper let me know.

I would suggest going to your local Thrift Store. I got 2 of mines for only $12 and i've had them for about 4 years. I didn't need anything new b/c it's only for my soap making. BUT I do have a newer one that was a gift from my mom from Target... but I like my older ones better :-)

and does the pound size equal the crock pot size ?

like 3 pounds would fit in a 3 quart ? 5 and 5, 6 and 6 7 and 7 and so forth ? i want to make sure whatever one i have will be big enough for bigger batched once i get the hang of it.

i'm going to say i believe so......but I got bigger ones for just in case something over flows, don't act right and simply just to give me more space in the pot to stir and everything else.

also i have been reading that the new crockpots the temps are hotter and people are finding they have to use the keep warm or the low settings because of the temps? anyone know anything about it ?

That is true. With my newer model one I do have to keep it on low b/c if I set it to high it burns my oils really fast. I do however set them on high just to melt down my hard oils. once that's done I set it it to low and it works out just fine :-)

and final questions, when should the FO be added ? after trace or stirred in before you mold ? and is it recommended 1 oz pp ?

I add my EO after the soap has cooked and reaches the stage of pouring into your mold. I do mines in small batches, so for me sometimes 1oz pp is good and sometimes it's not b/c some fragrances are really strong. Remeber to work fast b/c with HP soap it can tend to set up quick.

and finally, when you pour into the mold, should you still cover the mold like you would cp soap ? what about insulating the mold ?

Not to my knowledge. I never have and never do. I've never heard of this being a manditory rule. There was one time I did use the top on my wooden mold only b/c I wanted the top to mines smooth :-)