My first foray into FO...(pics)

LuminousBoutique

I have a few Q's for you lovely people... I have made EO CP soap for years but I've never used FO's.. I decided it was about time and pulled some out but I'm seeing some things I never have before in my soaps so I wanted some of you guys to take a peek and tell me what you think.

I made a small batch.. 42oz of oils, used my "grocery store" oil recipe since it was a tester (Olive, Coconut, Canola, Sunflower, Soybean, Sweet Almond, Castor), 4oz of Buttercream FO (I used 1oz PP of Oils, not PP of recipe.. and then added an ounce because this buttercream (candle source) smelled weak compared to my normal brand (candle science)) and sprinkled nonpariels (sp?) on top after I swirled my logs top.

1st.... color! It turned YELLOW... we're talking smiley face yellow. I've never seen that before, I've had my soaps go brown because of sugars but not like this. On the top, where my sprinkles are, it turned brown in gel and never went back. I'm assuming its because of the sugar from the little candies but wonderd if anyone had any experience with this and if it fades? You'll see in the pics its quite the color difference!

2nd.... scent. I always use 1oz PP of oils when I use EO.. but I had no experience with the FO so I just did the same thing. Its a bit weak but I know it will change with cure... how much do you guys usually use?

here are the pics... I hope the brown on top lightens up. My little mini's that I pour into a silicone brownie pan turned out adorable, cant wait to send those out as samples in a few weeks! I hope it attracts a new group of buyers because I've never messed with color or FO's and I think its about time to do some fun soaps!

First pic: I did a loaf of 100% castile too.. I do a 30% water reduc and it cures hard as a brick by week 4 but I let it cure for 4 months. You can see my minis are more yellow still, but dont have the brown on top...

16958_412306650077_511570077_10692865_7872517_n.jpg

Pic two.. loaf before cutting. its REALLY brown on top..

16958_412310975077_511570077_10692897_3613837_n.jpg

Pic three.. cut loaf..

16958_412310980077_511570077_10692898_7369863_n.jpg

Pic five.. my minis... they are so cute! I am SO happy with how they came out.

16958_412311000077_511570077_10692900_3576612_n.jpg

Edited by LuminousBoutique

Those look great! I'm thinking if there is vanilla in the butter cream it will eventually go brown. Vanilla in FO's turn soap from tan to brown depending on amount in there. It may be starting on the top and going inward. Just have to wait and watch. Maybe more experienced soapers will come along and chime in. :smiley2:

Those look great! I'm thinking if there is vanilla in the butter cream it will eventually go brown. Vanilla in FO's turn soap from tan to brown depending on amount in there. It may be starting on the top and going inward. Just have to wait and watch. Maybe more experienced soapers will come along and chime in. :smiley2:

AH I cant believe I didnt think of that! :embarasse Its very heavy on Vanilla, LOL i can be a dope sometimes! thank you... That makes perfect sense. It is full on brown now.. looks really nice and consistent. I guess I was confused just because it started on the top and I let myself freak out about it instead of let the soap do its thing... Thanks again!! :)

The same thing happens to me when I soap Pink Sugar. At first the soap looks yellow with pink swirls. It takes it a few days to start turning brown. Within two weeks it looks like chocolate with pinks swirls, lol.

Vanilla stabilizer will keep soap with vanilla fo's from turning brown, if you don't like brown soaps.

The same thing happens to me when I soap Pink Sugar. At first the soap looks yellow with pink swirls. It takes it a few days to start turning brown. Within two weeks it looks like chocolate with pinks swirls, lol.

Vanilla stabilizer will keep soap with vanilla fo's from turning brown, if you don't like brown soaps.

thank you, I'll have to look into that! I dont mind it.. but I want to learn new techniques in color

Still love your soap and I have never thought of the sprinkles, thanks.

If you make Bunny's bath melts, those brownie bites makes the perfect size.

Yeah the sprinkles are cute! I stole the idea from the cupcake bath bombs I see on etsy all the time.. so adorable. My experience is people shop with their eyes first, nose second, and common sense last.. so I am trying to make my soaps "prettier" lol.

I love those brownie pans, they are great for massage melts too... I am a massage therapist (although let my license lapse so I dont practice) and one of those is the perfect amount for one massage.