16 oz. Apothecary Jars

Ok I have been trying to wick this monster for the past year with no success. I have been using C3, mix of C3 and Container Palm(50/50) and Production One Pour from C&S. (Not at the same time) I have used single and double wicking from Papercore, LX, Eco, Premier, CD, HTP etc. I get a good burn the top half and the middle or 3/4 of the way down the flames deminish to about 1/4" or smaller. I wick up & I get a wicked flame and smoke in the beginning and it still minimizes considerably. As far as the FO, I have used 1 oz. per lb. to 1.5 oz per lb. with the same result. Does anyone have the secret to this jar? It is driving me crazy !!:confused:

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or secrets :smiley2:

I'm glad you posted this. I am having the same difficulty, and decided earlier today to leave these jars for awhile and concentrate on my other jars because I'm tired of the frustration. I think the shape of the jar does funky things to the oxygen content when the wax gets toward the bottom. I am currently testing Peak's Amish Harvest (1 oz pp) with double C-70 wicks in parasoy (mostly soy). I like it so far, but it will be awhile before it reaches the "sticking point". I can't wait to see what happens. I had poor results with vanilla and LX wicks.

I recently bought a double wicked apothecary candle for half price at Yank** just to see it burn since I've never bought anything that size from them before. The flames are absolute torches. I even trimmed the wicks to less than the 1/8" that they recommend before each burn. Before an hour is up, I have a full deep melt pool and the wicks are long again. I have not been able to burn this candle for 3 or 4 hours because I'm uncomfortable with how it burns. I can't wait to see how it burns further down the in jar. I don't like seeing black soot rising from the flames, either.

If I have to wick an apothecary this way to get a decent burn in the last half of my candle, I'd rather not give it to anyone, let alone sell it. I will be moving on to straight sided tumblers and 16 oz wide masons.

Naomi

Edited by naomiheck

Hi there,

Just found this forum and its great! I had similar probs with the apothecary Jars (! am using 464 wax) and CDN wicks. I tried unsuccessfully to single wick with recommened CDN 22. Depending on the fragrances some didn't a reach a full wax pool or some just had mega huge flames. I now double wick all my apothecary jars with two CDN 12 wicks and haven't had a problem since.:yay:

Not sure if that may be relevant to your wick type but thought it may be an idea.

Hi Dusty - I am so glad that you have had success with the 16 oz. apothecary jars. Unfortunately, I do not have the patience or luck with these jars. If by chance you need to stock your inventory - let me know, because I am moving to the next jar. :)

Edited by FulFillinDreams

I had the same exact problem with the 16 oz Apothecary jars. I tried every wick out there. I even tried to change my formula. It was mostly soy at the time and I thought by adding more paraffin wax it would be easier to burn. I tried 1 oz of FO and 1.5 oz of FO. I finally tried Performa wicks and they work perfectly. They burn consistantly all the way to the bottom without being a torch on the top and I am using all soy in them.

Don't give up.....it CAN be done.

P.S. I only use 1 oz of FO in them. HTH