Shampoo Ingredients

ljhenry62

Hello all, I have not been here in so long and have been catching up reading all the posts. Haven't made any soap since before the tornado in April of this year disrupted my plans. Anyway, I just watched a commercial for Wen Conditioning System. Does anyone know the ingredients of this "shampoo". I am wondering how it is different from regular shampoo.

From what I can tell by using it - it's an very high priced conditioner that uses emulsification to lift dirt from the hair, there are no soap / detergents so the dirt/hair sebum is removed by breaking it down and rinsing it away with alot of water! In order for it to work you must completely saturate your hair with product, which is very expensive. It weighed my hair down and within a day my extremely dry hair looked oily. I use it sparingly as a conditioner!

Interesting.

When I have heavily oily hair I find that if I "wash" with conditioner before shampooing it gets the oil out very well. Funny that it's being marketed as such, tho.

But unlike that stuff, I follow with a wash and condition - I don't rely on the conditioner alone to clean my hair.

Edited by CareBear

I have very fine hair and almost everything weighs it down. I don't think I want to spend that kind of money on something that I "might" like. Think I will just keep to my own experiments. I have actually been using some of my own soaps to wash my hair. I think it works pretty good for me. Cheaper, too. Wonder why they find it necessary to charge people so much for their products. I understand making money, but I think that in the long run, you would make more if you made it available to a wider range of people. That's just my thoughts though and they are free.

Think that I'll try the idea of "washing" with conditioner before washing though. My hair is so fly away this time of year and it is very dry with all the central heat and wood heat that we are in. Thanks for the idea. Also, thanks for all the responses. Might try my own detergentless shampoo formula and see how it goes. I do love experimenting.

Edited by ljhenry62

syndet = synthetic detergent, as contrasted to "real soap" made with oils and lye. commercial soaps are often syndet or syndet + soap. commercial shampoos are 99% syndet. but the joy of formulating your own is that you can customize - say for example you are willing to sacrifice lather for a more gentle shampoo, or leave out stuff, or add more goodies.

solid - some of us make a solid shampoo bar which is essentially shampoo without the water.

conditioner - same sort of idea.

forgive my ignorance, but what is a syndet shampoo bar and solid conditioner? and dare i ask, how are they made?

Here is a link for you ,this woman has a amazing blog about solid shampoo ,conditioner and a host of other information . Thet are a lot of fun to make and are so nice on the hair .

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/search/label/hair%20products

Edited by Kitn
forgot to post link doh!

You are most welcome . I don't know where you live , but if you are in Canada ,Swiftcraftymonkey tells on her blog , most is available at Voyageur soap & candle . In the USA , lotioncrafters and the personal formulator have the ingredients . They are quite easy to make , a lit bit pricey but both hair products last a long time and your hair will feel awesome .

hth

there is a few Soap suppliers around Google is a wonderful thing. There is aussiesoap supplies West Aust, heirloom West Sydney, Sydney Essential Oil have soap stuff, Think there is a few around Brisbane I dont make soap

hubby does they just some that we have found

Hope that helps

Tammy