wick help (deserate)

Lin

Ok i wouldnt ask for wick help but ive tested for months now and cant get it right so could use some help. Im trying to make tall container candles and have tried everything and the container still burns black. The container is 8" tall and has a 1 1/2 " opening at the top. What im trying to explain is the container is 2 1/2 " wide for 8',s and then comes in to the 1 1/2" at the top of the container. Its a santuary container which will burn for seven days. I know its not a container everyone would use but its very important for meand will even pay for the help(within reason). Its supose to be just a cheap parafin wax and wicked but im going crazy trying to get it right. Any help would be deeply appreciated. Lin

I wish I could help ya. I have no idea though. What wick are you using now and what is it that is not working?

Is it the soot? Well you will probably get soot like that in that long of a jar especially if the opening is smaller that the body. MAybe try adding some veggie wax or BW. BW will also help it burn long like you said without the HUGE flame. I was burning one of my BW bends yester day and forgot about it before I went to bed. It burned fine for like 12 hours lol. No soot and it never got too hot. HTH--Tess

That would be an extra challenging 7 day votive, because the diameter is 1/2 inch less than typical plus it's a narrow mouth.

If it burns too hot there won't be enough oxygen and you'll get soot. That jar is likely to trap a lot of heat, melt a lot of wax, and burn hot. You should lean towards a higher melt point for the wax (130-135 MP straight paraffin, maybe with a bit of microcrystalline) and a pretty small zinc core wick.

It's perfectly doable but would need some experimentation to get it right.

I've done a few of them and LX10 seemed to work the best for me. They DO soot up a bit though. Partly due to not being able to trim the wick very well. Most people who burn these tall jars dont trim them at all. just light em and let burn till they go out.

My son in laws mom burns them all the time. She liked the ones I made with the LX10's.

Dick

Thanks for all the help all of you as ill try everything. This is for a church santuary candle and if i can get it right ill be able to make them for a church. This darn thing has been a huge challange. It makes me crazy cause their made from these bigger companies, real cheap ly made i must add! but they burn with no soot at all. Guess ill keep testing. Lin