so, my first tester candles...comments and questions

I did MillCreek's 125 soy (GB415). No additives, just Christmas Splendor FO...at 6.25% (0.5oz FO to 8oz of wax). I used the 4oz jelly jars but there was only 2oz weight of wax in each.

CT was excellent and HT has been excellent! I can smell HT in about 1/2 the house !! (1700sf house).

I did 3 different wicks. CSN12, Eco12, Eco 10. in 4oz jellyjars

Burn #1 - 3 hours. Burn #2 - 3 hours. Burn #3 currently going on (marathon/power burn).

All three had cauliflower top after hardening back up after burn 1.

Eco12 & Eco10 I quit at 2.5 hours into the 2nd burn. It was just burning WAY too fast (like 2 times as fast as the CSN12, which I calculated to be able to give 15 hours burn time) and the flame was pretty big during both burns.

None of them had cauliflower after burn 2, but the CSN12 did have hangup.

CSN12 is currently burning and the hangup is going away (it's been burning for almost 2 hours but I noticed the hangup going away in the first 1/2 hour.)

I currently have two candles curing that I used some coconut oil in to try and help with the cauliflower. One has Jack Frost and the other has Lavender scent. Both have the CSN12. I'll test those this weekend probably.

So for my questions...

(1) The hangup - is it common for the hangup to go away after a 3rd burn? If it does go away, and I'm otherwise satisfied with the wick, does that make the wick/FO/wax combo a possible keeper? (given I test it again just to make sure)

(2) If the hangup does not go away (or comes back or whatever), then do I "wick up" to a CSN14?

HI,

I am interested in your findings as I am testing the CB135 and the 415(hubby went to Peak today and picked up 10lbs of 415 for me):laugh2:Anyway can you send pictures? I am thinking about that 4oz JJ it's kinda small for testing isn't it? I have 4oz, 8oz and the 12oz JJ they are the quilted ones so I test in the 8oz and then the 12oz for longivity how long the wick will stay burning and clean the jar in the middle and towards the bottom. The 12 is a tall skinny thing and I had alot of success with them using the ezsoy, but I don't want to pay the ship. So I am testing the others.

If I were you, I would test these and get your choice of wick close. Then go get the other size bigger unless this is all you are going to make your candles in.

I have been testing the CD and CDN, I think I am sticking with the CD's. I have noticed one thing, when they are burning let say 1 1/2 to 2 hrs into it they look like they might mushroom. I let them burn a little longer and when I extinguish them the wick shrinks back up kinda like into itself instead of mushrooming. If I let it over burn however it will mushroom a bit. Please keep me posted and good luck:yay:

Linda

I did take pics of the first burn but then my batteries were dead so no more pictures.

I did a 4.5 hour burn today and the hangup is totally gone and there was no cauliflowering in the 2nd burn or today's burn -- YAY!!!

I plan on 4oz and 8oz for now. I do have 8oz jars. I guess if these other two (with the coconut oil) do okay then I'll make an 8oz to test. I wanted to start small incase I totally didn't do well and decided to stick with B&B LOL

So far, I'm liking both but have tested more with the 135 because I used the last of the 415 a couple weeks ago.

I had been using the cb advanced for months since the 1st of the year and got tired of the lack of HT, so I made the plunge and started testing other waxes.

Linda:)

Maybe consider pouring a separate candle for the power burning. One reason is to answer that question you had about the hangup. Let's say the recommended burn time for your candle is a typical 3-4 hours. So it would be reasonable to burn it down for the shorter length of time (3 hours) and test what happens with hangup. See if melts by the time the candle has been burned all the way and whether the wick smokes. If the performance seems satisfactory in those tests, you can make additional testers for longer burns.

You can't really test every scenario with a single candle, so it's often more helpful to use it for just one scenario.

Edited by topofmurrayhill