Craft Trade Shows

SoapDiva

I'm going to take my business to a craft trade show in February.

For those of you who have done them, how do you set up? Do you go above and beyond? I have all these ideas, but frankly don't really want to invest a lot in display materials that will realistically used once per year.

I've designed wholesale brochures, I'm working on wholesale order forms in both CA and US dollars.

I know that I do not need to bring all my stock, just a selection. But I don't have a lot of "furniture".

I mean my typical craft show set up likely won't do. I have a 10x10 space, carpeted and walled.

I'm just wondering if anyone has pictures of how they do their wholesale show set ups, or information. I'm thinking of taking labeling samples (on boxes of soap, with generic company name etc), loafs of soap, of course all my soap and varieties.

I'm trying to plan this in advance, and considering the cost I'm already paying for the damn table, I want to be very very prepared.

I went when I was living in Edmonton, to see what the current trends were etc, but they were retail trade shows, where you'd find commercial companies in with the small handmade start ups.

This show is only for artisans and the handcrafted market. I haven't had a chance to get to this show unfortunately, there was supposed to be one this fall, but it was canceled.

I've got on my list:

Wholesale glossy brochures (about 200)

Wholesale price lists (Can/US) - for this is it advisable to have them behind the counter to give if people are interested? Otherwise there may be other people looking for my prices for their own nefarious use.

Pictures hanging (3 large ones of close up product shots) on the walls

Postcards

business cards

whoelsae show and retail shows are COMPLETELY different! what sells in a retail show will not neccesarily sell at a wholesale show.. Don't forget ...retailers and craft show vendors are compeitors! A typical craft show setup will not work. I invest $1000s in new displays every year. I never have the same setup and always try to attract somehow.

Take samples with YOUR name and phone number on it and give to everyone! Get there early and put them in the bathrooms as well. Also have your creams and butters out there to sample. People want so see and feel your product, that's what gets them to buy. Get a card from everyone you hand a brochure too, if they dont have one, have them write it down.

The ones I have done I had to have samples on the table and my product in cases to sell because retailers show up and want to buy right there. Make sure you have your license and insurance. I had to prove that I carried 5 mil. liability which is what my retailers wanted. So just make sure you have product ready to buy at the show. Good Luck!

Barncat - what types of displays do you use if you don't mind me asking?

I've made some notes. Going to give samples, collect business cards etc.

Is there a website out there that teaches people to effectively set up a trade show booth? I've searched but found nothing. I'm a very visual person, so I need to *see* how people have done things to get a feel for what I think may work.

The ones I've been too as a retailer, are quite strict in not allowing people to purchase off the floor. I'll have to contact the director to see if that is the case as well, I assume they are so I've been planning on allowing my stock to run low over Christmas.

Always take twice as much as you think you can sell. More if possible.

You want your display as full at the end of the day, as at the beginning. People don't buy anything from half empty shelves.

If you start having bare shelves half way through the day, you might as well pack up and go home.

The ones I've been too as a retailer, are quite strict in not allowing people to purchase off the floor. I'll have to contact the director to see if that is the case as well, I assume they are so I've been planning on allowing my stock to run low over Christmas.

There's a PDF of the guidelines in that link you posted. That info might be in there.

If you're not allowed to sell there, just ignore my other 2 cents above.

Just thinking out loud, here... I mentioned finding some DVD shelves in another thread that I thought would be good for a store display. They're $27 each. Maybe you could offer to give them that for a certain size order?

You could have one set up like you would set it up for a store.

I was mainly thinking it would take up some space, if you don't have enough product and display to make your area look full. You could stick a couple of stickers on it and call it a candle display and charge $50 for it... $30 with a minimum order... or some such.

Just a thought.

You might glue some type of fabric to some really crappy shelves.

I like felt. You might find something suitable in the discount rack at the local fabric store.

Seams and joints can be covered with cord type stuff... like they use for drapery tie backs, only the smaller version. Or maybe some type of velvet ribbon. Whatever you can find cheap.

I did this with some shelves I screwed together, made from some really cheap plywood. I put a tassel at each top corner.

Looks a lot better than it sounds like it would. And when you've just tied up your life's savings in materials for products...:rolleyes2

Just throwing out ideas.

Wholesale glossy brochures (about 200)

I've not done that type of show so I'm not a lot of help, but I do know I would take a lot more than 200 brochures if it were me. I would expect that with the size of event that it looks like traffic is more than that. I would hate to run out of brochures before mid-day.