Insurance

Darrin_B

what you really need to do is open the phone book and start calling to see if any agents in your area have a company that will write coverage for a candle maker... or bath & body if that's what your looking for.

It really varies state by state -

have you checked with your agent?

Thanks Teri,

I had been searching the internet and now will try the yellow page. I had read in a forum some place of a company that offer a plan for about $250 a year for a policy. They said that it was a standard plan and was about $1,000,000 in coverage. That sounded to good to be try.

Darrin_B

I have mine thru Ohio Casulty, call an independent agent and ask if they underwrite with them. All i have is product liability, nothing else. Would I work without it, just pick up the paper this time of year and you can find house fire stories due to unattended candles. But I am also a wholesaler and do business in many states and this is a necessary must for me.

I got mine with Travelers through an independent agent. Whoever you find make sure you tell them exactly what you do or you may not be completely covered. For instance one place I called would cover me for candles but not firestarters. I know there's a site that lists insurance companies by state who will insure candle making but I can't remember but you should be able to find by searching. I consider insurance a must have.

The Candle Cauldron has a good listing of insurance companies by state. You should check that out. I asked my agent about liability insurance, and at first she told me she couldn't find any companies that covered small candle/B&B businesses. Then I mentioned the companies from the Candle Cauldron list, and suddenly she had several quotes for me.

I live in California, and I have called soooo many insurance agents. As soon as I mention the word candles I get an instant no. It is very frustrating. Has anyone in California had any luck finding coverage?

I've been trying too! I really, really need insurance and finally got one quote back. Most just don't return my emails, calls, etc. The quote I got was for $1mil product liability for $1257/yr

I have a few more to try and then it looks like that might be the route I have to take. :confused:

it's not always true that your homeowners company will drop you as my business policy and homeowners are with the same company.

One thing I don't think a lot of people think about is all the supplies you have in you home - or if you do craft shows. You DO NOT have coverage under your homeowners for property used in business, or if you were going to a craft show or home party and were involved in an accident, you don't have coverage under your auto for everything in you vehicle..

just something to think about !