Hi all, I am out of 1274 and am looking to use up 12 cases of 1242 I have laying around. I made the switch some time ago to 1274 and really like it however I am unsure as to whether I can get 1242 to mottle or not. If not I will drag out my old formulas for the 1242 I used to use.

I will pour tomorrow however does anyone have any input? Trying to get a few Spring items in the works and test some ideas throughout the next couple of months.

Thanks in advance.

Wendy

I use 1242. Its a preblend, so won't really mottle. It is a really nice wax for regular pillars and you can make rustics from it. Even though it is a preblend, I add 1/2 tsp pp vybar (or polybar) because it sometimes goes a little spotty without more additives. Its not a mottling wax due to the additives already in it. I have been using 1245 and steric for mottling as its a straight paraffin without addtives. If you are cose to a supplier, you may want to try a slab of it first. I have had trouble getting the results I want with 1274.

Have sent you an e-mail

I use 1242. Its a preblend, so won't really mottle. It is a really nice wax for regular pillars and you can make rustics from it. Even though it is a preblend, I add 1/2 tsp pp vybar (or polybar) because it sometimes goes a little spotty without more additives. Its not a mottling wax due to the additives already in it. I have been using 1245 and steric for mottling as its a straight paraffin without addtives.
Actually it's not a preblend. It's just straight paraffin wax. True, the manufacturer blends the paraffin to some extent for batch consistency because it's marketed for candlemaking, but it has no additives.

Got this off the IGI web site. Tried to mottle it several times and wasn't as successful as others, but trying it won't hurt. Sometimes it mottled and sometimes it was just blotchy using the same formula.

GI 1242adobe-pdf-logo.gifadobe-pdf-logo.gifParaffin wax blend: good for pillar, molded, and taper candles. So does it mean that that's just the blend of several waxes with no additives, Top? I know that that is what suppliers suggest beginning candlemakers use here. Will have to give it another try:cheesy2:

So does it mean that that's just the blend of several waxes with no additives, Top? I know that that is what suppliers suggest beginning candlemakers use here. Will have to give it another try:cheesy2:
Yeah, the language can lead you astray, but it just means they're offering a product with certain properties that they consider good for candlemakers and they try to keep it consistent. That involves some sorting out and blending of paraffins that I don't know the exact details of, but there are no additives involved.

You can tell by the product numbers too. The preformulated waxes with the additives are the 4xxx series and the veggie blends are 6xxx. All the 1xxx stuff is straight paraffin products.

Straight paraffin is no guarantee of a mottle, but most of them will do it in some way or other when you freak them out with too much oil.