feather pallm wax

I use a product called Shurtape. It is approximately 3" wide. I cut a piece that is about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" long. I do not use any putty with this, just the Shurtape. I wick and then tape over the wick, making sure that I secure it well, lots of pressing of the tape around the wick! I have never had one leak, yet.

I started out filling the mold with water to see if the water would leak out, and when it didn't, I got real brave and did a candle, knowing full well that the heat of the wax could change everything. I put a disposable bowl underneath, just in case everything went south!

I have probably made about 100 candles and not one did I have a problem with. I bought this stuff at Lowes and I can't remember how much I paid for it, but at the time it seamed pricey. The roll is pretty large and there is no telling how many candles you could make with it. Now I see it was well worth what ever I paid for it.

The product is called Shurtape, it is a foil tape. Here are some numbers that are printed on the tape, don't know if you will need them or not: 181A-P/181B-FX. I just thought I would toss this out there, because I really hated to have to mess with the putty stuff, I found it such a pain. And thanks to Stella who got me started on this venture.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Deb

I've had good luck with the white duct tape. I use the one that has the little rubber duckies on the inside of the roll. I have gotten it at Lowes and Walmart. Just make sure to get rid of any creases in the tape and you won't have any issues (wax will "creep" out thru the crease).

After rereading my reply, I wasn't clear about why I use the putty... I put a glob of it over the hole on the inside because I put a wickpin in and the putty helps hold it in place. The silver ducting tape is what's keeping the hot wax from leaking out. I didn't have the best luck with duct tape - it worked for one use, but the extended exposure to the high heat of larger palm pillars softened the adhesive and it leaked. HTH :)