I made my first candle! What happened?

Im so excited I just made my first candle. I made a 16 oz. jar candle :) It seems okay except there is a very noticable hole next to the wick. I used ecosoy advanced. I heated it to 160 and poured at 110. What caused this hole and how do I prevent that from happening again?

Thanks

pixie

This is normal... After you get to know your wax a little better you may be able to figure out the temps to pour so you don't get all the air pockets/holes.

But for now, a second pour may help so your candle will not tunnel when burning!!

If you do a second pour (Top off your candle after it has cooled), it will help fill in air pockets and fill in the pocket around the wick..

Have fun making candles.. Don't let it get you upset..

Lot's of trial and error involved...:cheesy2: So just enjoy!!!

If it helps, you're on the right track.

About the best thing a newbie can do is pour some wax, then see what problems they run into and look for a solution.

Nobody's first candle ever comes our quite right. If your first candle seems to have come out perfect, you've probably done something horribly, horribly wrong.

Air pockets are common in candle making. One of the things I learned is to gently tap my molds or jars just after pouring to get all the air bubbles out before it starts to cool. I use my pairing knife that I use to shave dye blocks.

Once the candle has cooled however I use the heat gun too to try to get them out. If the air pockets are real bad it's best to poke holes and do a second pour.