Is this the normal

:smiley2:I called a supplier to order some FO and inquired about what amounts you had to use in C3 soy. They told me that they did not know but with the wax they sell you have to use 1.5 oz. I then asked who the manufacturer was and they told me that they were not able to give out that info. Why what is the big deal?:confused: Also is this normal to have to use 1.5 oz. I have used 1 oz and had it come out on top of my wax. I realize some oils are stronger than others but she said all of there oils.:sad2: Thanks from a confused Joy:(

If they repackage their wax and relabel with their name, then a supplier will not tell who the manufacutre is.. The supplier wants you to buy their product from them and not get it else where.....

Ex.. EZ Soy at BC.. That is said to be 415. But they won't tell you that.

Soy for the most part requires 1 -1.5oz/pp..

Your best bet is to test.

What works for one does not always work for another...

I have had suppliers tell me 1oz pp works great..

But I don't smell at thing at 1ozpp...

Now at 1.25oz/pp it works great...

So test.. That's the best answer I can give ya..

Edited by islandgirl

Well I agree with you, "whats the big deal?" But I don't know of any suppliers that share who their fragrance manufacturers are. They tell who manufactures the waxes.... but other things they dont tell. Sort of a "trade secret" kind of thing I guess. As for having to add 1.5 oz. pp of soy wax ...well to me that seems reasonable. I think soy wax is harder to scent than paraffin. I think. I use a parasoy blend. I think if you order some of the fo's youll probably find a few that are "heavier" and you may be able to use 1oz. pp. But what she said was probably what she was told works best for soy.

after reading the above response I realized maybe you meant their wax manufacturer..eeesh I feel like a rock.. But I second what she said.

Edited by autumndaze
had to add

If they repackage their wax and relabel with their name, then a supplier will not tell who the manufacuter is.. The supplier wants you to buy their product from them and not get it else where.....

Exactly. Suppliers want you to buy from them.

Just as I am sure you wouldn't tell someone where you buy all your suppliers from and tell them how to make a candle. Suppliers do research also and that cost us a lot of money. That is why they won't tell you who their manufacturer is.

Edited by Lorrie

From the manufacturer's handling sheet...

* The recommended fragrance load for this wax is 6% or less, although a 7 to 10% fragrance loads

may be added with the addition of additives to help control the fragrance.

While I believe that any supplier who distributes a particular manufacturer's wax has an obligation to their customers to KNOW the manufacturer's recommendations for the product (including access to their product information, MSDS, etc.) to help answer their customer's questions, it's incumbent upon the USER of the product (ie. US!) to find the manufacturer's product information we need. This can be a problem because of private branding (which is why I object to this practice) which simply obfuscates access to manufacturer's product information.
I have used 1 oz and had it come out on top of my wax.
I can't speak for every chandler, but this is something that HAPPENS under certain environmental conditions. Learning about the how, when & why this occurs (syneresis) is how we learn to avoid this. Adding too much oil for the wax to hold is only ONE of the conditions under which this occurs.
I realize some oils are stronger than others but she said all of there oils.
I use 1 oz. pp of FO in my C3, palm wax and Ecosoya PB candles. Sometimes I might lean on that a little if it's a fragrance I really, really like, because I DO have my little favorites, but mostly I stick to my guns. I don't think I've ever used 1.5 oz. pp in ANY candle!

FO is the single most costly ingredient in candles. I don't want to use more because I would have to raise the price of the candles; I don't want to use less because I want a good throw, both hot & cold. That's a nice, average amount for me. Now, if I can use a concentrate that allows me to use less without compromising other considerations (frosting), or it's an especially STRONG FO that causes me to have nosebleeds and asthma attacks at 1 oz. PP, that's all good, BUT it has to be at least as cost effective as the 1 oz. PP I have figured into my average manufacturing cost calculations. If a particular FO gives me problems with too little throw, but I really like it or have a strong customer request for it, I will go to other suppliers for the same FO to see if theirs works better for me. I would rather do that than endlessly testing different wicks to see if one type or size works better for that particular FO, 'cause that's the tail waggin' the dog! The FO has to fit MY situation. I either find another FO that does or I drop that scent from my lineup. There are too many wonderful fragrances out there for me to set the sun & moon over being able to carry ONE particular FO... I don't care if everyone and their brother carries a particular fragrance - if it doesn't work for me, that's fine - more business for others! :D

Just as I am sure you wouldn't tell someone where you buy all your suppliers from and tell them how to make a candle. Suppliers do research also and that cost us a lot of money. That is why they won't tell you who their manufacturer is.
Sorry, Lorrie, but I don't agree with that line of reasoning UNLESS a supplier is having a company make a certain formula just for them! Then it's up to the supplier to give customer service for the product formula they requested.

Simply private branding a particular manufacturer's product (unaltered) IMHO is a bad consumer practice because it makes it more difficult for the end user of the ingredient to get information and troubleshoot problems. If, for example, Stella's Wonderful Soy Wax is identical to GB 415 - just private branded - I think I, as a supplier, owe customers access to the same product information as offered by Golden Brands, PLUS I need to be willing to either advocate for my customers to the manufacturer when problems arise, or give the customers the manufacturer's name & phone number so that they can advocate for themselves. I avoid private branded products whenever I possibly can because of this deliberate obfuscation.

Of course, having said all that, I have to identify myself as one of the "loons" who believe that consumers have a right to know the list of ingredients in any products they buy, from kitty litter to candles to medications to cleaning products to hair spray! :shocked2::):laugh2::tiptoe::lipsrseal