Wandering wick

I have been testing with the WickStickers from the Candle Makers Store for about 6 months now and I'm seriously considering using them because I have not had a single one come loose during any of the candle making or buring process, once they are on there they don't go anywhere...here is what the company says about them...

"Wick Stickers are the Original Invention of The Candlemaker's Store. Many have tried to copy and rename our design, but our material and adhesives are designed exclusively for Candlemaking and will withstand the heat and other solvents used in the process."

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/category/wickstickers/

Steve, thanks for posting that product photo - now I know what to look for! I want to test those puppies because if they do hold in both soy & palm wax without leaking or softening, it's one helluva lot easier to slap on a sticky than it is a dollop of goo. ;)

Stella I went out and bought this product to test for myself. I bought the stip type one. I am impressed. I used it in a metro jar and poured about 1 1/2 inches of soy wax into it. After the melt pool depth reached the bottom of the jar, I tested the 'hold' of the 'mountie' {for want of a better word} and it was stuck fast. I then put the candle in the oven at around 100 celsius for about an hour. Still stuck fast! Bonus....it wasnt terribly difficult to remove from the jar. More difficult than a 'stick-um' {which tend to just slide out} but not impossible. I also found that if I got the wick off centre, it pulled off with a bit extra tugging, so I could re-position it. I was able to do that within seconds of it being stuck down but I dont know if it would come away as easy if it was left for a while.

I did buy the HEAVY DUTY one and used a piece about a half inch square.

Thanks to the poster for the 'heads-up':yay:

Koala Girl, thanks for that review. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I have to go to the office supply store tomorrow and will look for them. When I try them, I will do so on a full tester during a powerburn because the container heats up considerably at the end. That's when the failures I have experienced occur and also when it is most important for the adhesive not to soften, leak or release.

Isbennis, I appreciate your review, too, but I don't like having to order stuff like wick stickers from suppliers because, unless it's one from whom I routinely order, that's one more shipping charge I can avoid. ANYTHING I can get locally usually saves me money. The product description means very little to me - but I'm sure they appreciate your repeating it here. ;) I have to see how things hold up for myself... Thus far, I have been very unimpressed with wick stickers in general, but I am gonna check out the 3M ones Steve showed us... That way if I run out, I can run get some and not have to wait for days. :)

Question about the 3M vs. Permatex "goo";

Aren't the 3M adhesive pads thicker than what the goo would be that I currently use? Would that not leave even more wax un-melted in the bottom of the container? My customers are pleased with how much of the candle burns at the bottom and if the 3M pad raises the wick tab even 1/16th" or so would that not leave more un-melted wax at the bottom of the container. The goo method adheres the wick tab almost on the container surface. Maybe not a biggie but a thought. Hope I made sense. I too would like to not have goo stress.

Dave

You are absolutely correct. I place the tab over the opening and the whole thing rests slightly above the glass. There is a slim amount of wax left in the bottom but I have burnt the thing down to nearly nothing. Customers never complain and several have told me that they are not comfortable letting a candle burn all the way to the bottom. Personally, I sleep a little better hoping that my products are safer than the average bear. Burning to the bitter end is a super hot container IMHO.

Steve

Yes, Dave, the height of the tab would add to the amount of leftover wax. My candles leave about 3/8" of wax in the bottom anyway... that's enough!! One can order wicktabs with shorter neck heights, but that would circumvent the safety of not burning a container all the way to the bottom.

There is a slim amount of wax left in the bottom but I have burnt the thing down to nearly nothing

A candle should not be able to be burned down to "nearly nothing." That's the point of the neck height on the wicktabs - to prevent this from occurring whether customers like it or not! ;)

"(/quote)...Isbennis, I appreciate your review, too, but I don't like having to order stuff like wick stickers from suppliers because, unless it's one from whom I routinely order, that's one more shipping charge I can avoid. ANYTHING I can get locally usually saves me money. The product description means very little to me - but I'm sure they appreciate your repeating it here. ;) I have to see how things hold up for myself... Thus far, I have been very unimpressed with wick stickers in general, but I am gonna check out the 3M ones Steve showed us... That way if I run out, I can run get some and not have to wait for days. :)

Well I certainly don't expect you to run out and purchase them based on what I posted, I was just posting in general as to how they have worked for me and for anyone who was interested. I may also give the 3M ones a try based on what I have read so far. :smiley2:

Edited by lsbennis