Best use of a 1 oz FO sample?

I just got a shipment of a bunch of 1 oz fragrance samples, and I can't wrap my head around the best way to evaluate these. Should I start at 1.5 oz pp or 1 oz pp, or somewhere in between? What size candle do you make to test a fragrance sample, and what is your criteria for rating a fragrance oil as a keeper or a tosser?

Naomi

...and what is your criteria for rating a fragrance oil as a keeper or a tosser?

Naomi

Funny story... I was testing a very yummy 'sounding' FO (I thought it would be a chocolaty smell). My sister walked in durning the test burn day and after saying hello she said, "what smells like wet dog?" :confused:

I didn't even finish testing that one.

So that is my criteria... smells like dog? Toss it!

Hmm, I'm used to wet dog smells at my house (that's why I'm always burning a candle or spraying air freshener). Hunting dogs smell bad even after a bath!

I'm testing with 8 oz jelly jars and a blend of 30% WSP's SP wax + 70% GB 464. I just got my first shipment of IGI Victory Blend (R9798/6098A) so I'd like to try that too. If I like it, I'll probably switch over when my other waxes are used up.

Naomi

Edited by naomiheck

Thanks for your replies. I will go with the 1 oz pp. I figure if I can't smell it after curing, it won't be worth pursuing. I'd really like to build up a collection of FO's that are great at 1 oz pp in soy (like Peak's Amish Harvest and CS Pumpkin Souffle).

Naomi

I use a salsa jar which holds 8 oz of wax. I take 15 ozs of wax and add 1oz sample for a full 16 oz. The percentage works out to almost 7% (1.05) and I get two candles out of the deal. One to test and one to sell. If the test is good and the one sells with requests for more, then I order a pound of that fo. If nobody wants or likes it, then I put it on the list of can't sell fos. I usually use an 1/8 th over an ounce when pouring up fos per pound so it all works out pretty well.