I think I did something wrong

crystal80

Hello,

Soooo... finally I made the soap (getting over this cold). Everything looked fine during the process. I took a look today at the soap this morning, and the one in the wood mold have a big puddle of oil on top. The one in the 6 soap plastic mold (like a candy mold) looks fine, the little leftover that I put in the Dixie cup looks fine as well.

Why is it that the big wood mold looks like a bath of oil? I made it yesterday around noon time, Eastern Time.

boohooo............:confused:

Wood molds allow the soap mixture to heat up more because they insulate better. Your mixture might have gotten too hot and separated. Or, sometimes, a newly unmolded soap can have a bit oil that still needs to soak in. If the soap is set up for the most part but has a bit of oil sitting on it, put it in a spot to cure and air out and that oil should soak in. Be sure to check all the soaps for zap too. Congratulations on your first batch.

Edited by Meridith

Hi,

I found this information about my little error:

http://www.aromacreations.com/troubleshooting1.html

Separation: This becomes apparent after you have poured your soap into the mold. A significant layer of oil or grease sits on top of the mixture. If the layer of oil is thin, it's probably caused by the essential oils and will be reabsorbed during the curing process. If the layer is thick, you have a caustic soap that should be discarded.

I believe this is what Meridith was talking about, but mine is not getting reabsorbed so far. Caustic soap? Did I put too much lye? I used the lye calculator. Do I need to throw mine away.

It smell so good.....:rolleyes2 arg.....

No, it didn't absorb anymore. It looks like when grease gets cold and changed to a paste color. I can tell that the rest of the block its hard, but that the layer on the top is liquid.

And I just remember that I forgot to use distilled water. I used water from my faucet (duh!) for the lye. My recipe had goats milk, and honey. The more I read, I start to understand what went wrong. I just don't know what to do with this soap.

Goats milk and honey are ingredients that are best saved for when you have a little bit more experience.

Are you sure you had a true trace before you molded your soap? Sometimes molding at false trace (caused by temps or FO's) will lead to separation down the road.

There is always the option of rebatching...I know some people despise it, but I don't really mind. I despise losing a batch of soap. :cheesy2:

Good luck,

~Julia

:yay: I did it !!! Thank you..

I rebatched my soap, and it came out great. I didn't use the oven with the bag, I just read that message. I will try that one if this ever happens again. Your soaps texture on top are not as wavy as mine.

I used the double boiler. A lot of work, but I am happy. I cut the soap (I need to learn how to cut soap) but I am learning. Now I am looking forward to make another soap. Yes!!!!!:cheesy2: