Am i the idiot????

WillowBoo

Candles on consignment...3 different shops -can't keep up with the ones they need replaced in 2 of them. They take around 20% or so commission...I don't care about what I make on the candles - it's not a business with me. The 3rd location calls today (hasn't been open since I dropped off the candles there for sale. She put her nose up about them anyways.) FIrst customer walks in and buys 2 of them

THe owner gets on the phone and says "Now how is this going to work? If I put these through the register then I have to pay tax on them. I keep $2.99 and you get $10.00 under the table." I replied, " You pay the taxes that you collect from the customer. If you want these candles to sell in your shop, that's what you do." SHe keeps going on and on, I finally asked what she meant income tax or sales tax? She couldn't get it at all. Is there something wrong with me?????

That's the way it works. You can always tell her that if she is not happy, you can wholesale them to her....then she goes about it like everything else in her store...

She needsto realize that she is making money without having to invest anything at all!

She doesn't know how to 'adjust' her paperwork to deal with the under the counter thing. She doesn't know how to deal with anything that isn't a straight purchase with invoices and tax numbers and such. If you have all your licenses and tax ID numbers and such, just change her to a straight purchase, COD. If you don't, you might want to drop her. She would be fine, I'd guess with a straight purchase, where she has an invoice and all the paperwork is in order.

If she won't or can't do COD and you already have more biz than you can keep up with, then there's not much reason to deal with her.

Alternatively, you could ask her what SHE wants to do. If she doesn't have an answer and she doesn't like yours... <shrug> ... some folks are just more trouble than they're worth. Tell her to give you a call when she feels more comfortable working with you, or some such.

I'd try to be gentle but firm. Try to leave the door open for the future. You never know what next year will bring.

I've had THOUSANDS of customers in my non-related candle business and not once did anyone begrudge me what I've charged. She's sore because I made $20 and she only made $5.98. (little does she know $150.00 a candle wouldn't cover the cost of it at this point - all the money and time spent coming up with a decent candle.) I've seen this crap before with other people. I think the way to go is wholesale or find venues where you sell your items yourself. This consigment biz is for the birds....

I learned very early on in the game to never do consignment. The shop keeper has no real investment in having your products be displayed well, kept in good shape and selling. Wholesale is the way to go. You sell to them, they sell the products for whatever they want and pay taxes and have the responsibility to make sure the products sell.

• 2 weeks later...