Newb and hollow candle when wax cools???

Greetings all. New to the board, pretty much new to candlemking, just kind of getting into it.

Anyway. I got some 10 lb slabs of wax from an online supplier. I filled a couple of mason jars and let them cool. When cooled I noticed that there's a large hollow spot right at the top, but about half an inch below the surcafe of the wax. I don't have a digi cam (but I can borrow one if you need pictures) But just looking at the candle you wouldn't notice anything is awry. However, if I press my finger onto the top of the wax, it pushes through and there's an empty air-hole in the wax for about an inch, then there is wax again, presumably solid all the way to the bottom. Does that explanation make sense?

Anyway what gives? Is it bad wax? too hot? cold? anyone have this problem? Some skimming thorugh the forums didn't reveal much but I admit I didn't do any heavy searching.

Thanks

pr0v

That is normal for some wax to do that, it is called air pockets. To lesson or avoid them, before the wax has completly cooled, use something like an ice pick, pice of wire coat hanger sharpened to a point and poke relief holes next to the wick. Then when you top off / repour the top wax they will fill up.

Also read some of these sites

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+candles&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

HI and welcome to the board. That is the wax that I use to pour my containers and it has always been a true one pour wax. I love this wax. I have never had to poke relief holes in my container candles. Pillars for sure, but not my containers. I pour this wax @ about 170 dg into slightly warmed containers. I use three different sizes and have not had a problem with this wax. What temp did you pour it?

I have poured this wax 2 or 3 times now each time has been between 180-185. Is it too hot? I am pouring it into both large mason jars and small glass hex jars. The big mason jar obvioulsy gets the biggest hollow spots. However the small hex jars (4 oz jars) get air pockets as well.

Should I pour cooler, around 170 degrees?

Thanks, you guys are the best.

-pr0v

Have had this happen to me several times. Now I pour around 165 and put jars in oven right away to cool. This lets them cool slower than sitting on counter. No more air pockets. Before I was putting the jars in oven after I got them all poured and some were starting to set up. Those would be the ones with the air pockets. This works for me.

Hi and welcome! You don't have to repour your jars...there's an easy fix for that. Enlarge the hole and then heat the surface with a heat gun until the wax liquifies and fills in the void, then let cool. I know it's one more step that you probably didn't want to have to do but it will fix your immediate problem.