Wick Suggestions?

Hi, all. I have to start off by saying thank you to everyone here for all the greast info you all share. A wonderful place for people like me to learn!

I started making candles about two months ago. So far I seem to be doing ok with 4 oz jars with HTP 83 wicks and C3 soy wax. (Does that sound like an average combination?) Thing is, my husband wants me to go with bigger jars. I bought some 6.5 oz, and have some 10 oz. on the way. In the 6.5's, I'm testing an 83 and a 104 (HTP). I'm not overly happy with how either one is burning. The 104 is doing ok, but it has some hang-up on the sides. Would going up to a 105 make any difference? Also, should the jar be hot?

One other thing I'm thinking is to try either Performa, CD, LX, or RRD. Question is, though... what size do I start with? I'm not really wanting to get a sampler kit, because almost all of the ones I've looked at have sizes I don't think I'll need.

Am I the only one that gets more confused the more I TRY to learn? Will all of this get easier to understand after I get some experience under my belt? I mean there are times when I feel completely and utterly STUPID for not knowing what is being said...

Thanks for any advice any of you can me. Greatly appreciated!

Michelle

Actually, sample packs are the best way to go. They are most cost-efficient way to test different wicks and wick sizes. There really isn't any way of knowing whether or not you'll need a certain size wick, until you get in there and test it. :smiley2:

Probably not the answer you were looking for, huh? LOL

Hi Mitch, and Welcome!

Don't be scared. We all have been where you are now, some of us still are!

Confusion goes with the territory, but rest assured, it is a human emotion...don't worry, you're normal!

Starting with a wick sample pack is absolutely the best thing that you can do.

It is how I narrowed down the wicks for my candles.

Move at your own pace, when you feel comfortable with what you have created - move up to another size jar and wick testing. This isn't a race, it's a craft, and for the sake of safety, you must, you MUST test, and learn, and test, and learn at the pace best for you. Otherwise, you will not build up the confidence you need in yourself or your product. If you do not feel comfortable, safe, and pleased with what you have created, start over.

Ask your husband to go through the creating process for one candle with you. He will understand. I went through the same thing. My husband thought that all we do is pour wax in a jar, stick a wick in it, and voila, InstaCandle!

Remind him that you are JOB TRAINING! There are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable ppl here on this board. You can rely on them to steer you in the right direction.

Best wishes to you and your success.

Fern-Marie