Advice for a beeswax votive & a soy/palm votive

Hello,

I've been making container candles for a few years now and made my first votives over the week-end. The first one I made was a beeswax one (I bought it at a local honey store where they make their own honey and sell beeswax in blocks, it's pretty clean) and put it in a votive holder and it burned all the way to ends except for one part where some of the edge remained. I used an LX 16 wick.

The second one I made was a soy wax one with sunkissed currant scent, red wax colour and used Enchanted Lites pillar wax combines with some palm wax. I used an LX 14 wick for this. This was burned almost to the end but not quite.

My votive holder is a 1.75 X 2". How is a votive supposed to burn? Should there be some of the edge left or should it burn all the way across the diameter of the candle like a container one does? Also there are so many votive holders with some being wider than others. The one I used was just a bit bigger than the candle.

Just wondering if I should up the beeswax wick to LX18 and the soy to LX 16.

Votives should be burned in close-fitting containers. They are like a hybrid of a pillar & a container candle. THey are free-standing, but require a close-fitting container to burn properly. Once placed in the container, they burn essentially like a container candle. There should be no wax hangup on the container but it should not become too hot to touch. Better to have a slight amount of hangup than a red-hot container.

I don't use LX wicks, but the wick reccomendation chart from WickIt suggests LX 10-14 for votives. Beeswax and soy may require a larger size, so if the 16 is working for you, then that's the one to go with. :)

The second one I made was a soy wax one with sunkissed currant scent, red wax colour and used Enchanted Lites pillar wax combines with some palm wax. I used an LX 14 wick for this. This was burned almost to the end but not quite.

As far as I know Enchanted lites doesn't carry a pillar wax. I am assuming that you are using the votive wax? I use gw-28's in my votives and they work really well.

The LX 16 is perfect for all my beeswax votives with no problems. Anything smaller and I get a dying flame. The LX wicks will curl to one side and all you really need to do is take something and center it a bit more while it's burning, large uncurled paper clips work perfect! If you don't it will leave a bit of an edge on one side, but the further down it burns, the side will come down also, so don't worry about it. :cool2: