pro and con list for ecowicks

The thing I didn't like about them is that unless you trim them ultra-short, they smoke terribly when you first light the candle. It goes away after a meltpool starts to develop, though. I just can't bring myself to trim the wick as short as it needs to be initially (guess I'm afraid it will drown out), so I light it and then trim gradually until the smoking stops. Once you get it right, though, you can go a long time between trims (if the wick is the correct size), and they clean up the jar better than anything else I've used; no film.

The thing I didn't like about them is that unless you trim them ultra-short, they smoke terribly when you first light the candle. It goes away after a meltpool starts to develop, though. I just can't bring myself to trim the wick as short as it needs to be initially (guess I'm afraid it will drown out), so I light it and then trim gradually until the smoking stops. Once you get it right, though, you can go a long time between trims (if the wick is the correct size), and they clean up the jar better than anything else I've used; no film.
Hmmm, whatever is happening to you has nothing to do with ECO wicks that's for sure.

No, I've used them off and on for over a year. Unless they are trimmed shorter than normal, there are always puffs of smoke until the melt pool starts to develop. I shutter to think the amount of smoke that would be generated if they were to be left at the normal 1/4".

I use Eco wicks in my soy with great results. I use them for the heavier/more viscous fragrance oils that need a wick up or two to get a full melt pool, they do the trick every time. For the lighter/less viscous I use HTP's and/or CD's.

I like the eco wicks in that they don't get those big mushrooms. As far as I can see, they usually don't smoke. I do think they burn less hot than HTPs as right now I am burning two jj. One with Cinnamon Roll and the other with med fig in 435 (soy with cottonseed). Granted the Cinnamon may be heavier, but the eco 8 isn't making the full melt pool until the third burn and the HTP 105 is doing better. The batch of wax makes a difference, too. A year ago, an eco 6 worked well in my jj. Now, it is taking an 8 or 10. But, on a scale of 1-10, they get about a 7-8. Just my opinion. Beth

• 1 month later...
I use Eco wicks in my soy with great results. I use them for the heavier/more viscous fragrance oils that need a wick up or two to get a full melt pool, they do the trick every time. For the lighter/less viscous I use HTP's and/or CD's.

Hope you're still keeping up with this thread and can give me some insight to your success with the ECO wicks.

I just can't get a melt pool to reach the edge of my glass using Eco's no matter how big I wick. My largest jar is only 3" dia and I use 9% FO load with almost all of my FO and a 14 won't even do the trick. I also notice quite a bit of smoking and I get that ugly hang up residue. I've used 449, 444, and C-3 Soy blends with same results.

Thanks, Linda

My guess is it has more to do with the wax you use them in than the trim height. I used these in Astor Q a while back, and they smoked like the dickens when first lit (had to trim really short). However, I've since used these in 2 different para-soy blends and they are wonderful. They are great wicks, but not the best for all types of waxes.