Lip Balm Base Help!

countyline

I just got the soy lip balm base from AH/RE, and I hate it!! :( It is sooo grainy and dry in the tub. I was hoping it would magically transform when I melted it, but ick. It feels like sand. It softens up a few minutes after I put it on, but I can't sell this stuff! Are there any tips or tricks for how to prepare this stuff, or an additive to make it smoother? I'm not really sure what to add to it, because it also seems a bit too soft for the tubes as it is.

I have also been experimenting with WSPs and it's smooth, but it leaves a funny waxy feeling on my lips...maybe I should just mix the two!

Has anyone used either of these bases? Any input or advice? Thanks!

If they have Shae in them that might be where the graininess comes from. It's kinda made like body butter but a little more bees wax. Try 1/3 bees wax 1/3 oil (Almond, Jojoba, coconut) and 1/3 coco butter or another butter you like. Add a capsule of vitamine E if making a larger amount. I would try each oil on your lips to see if you like them by themselves. I don't like Emu on my lips, glad I didn't make a lot with it. I love virgin coconut so I use that and maybe some Jojoba and unscented coco butter. I'm not a Lip balm/tube person but my kids are addicted. Try Soap Dish they might have a bunch of recipes.

http://www.thedishforum.com/forum/index.php?

You can always try placing all the base in a double boiler, melting it and keeping it melted and heated for at least 1/2 an hour. I have had some success with this method for curing grainy shea. Not guaranteeing it, but it would be worth a try. You could also add some oil such as SAO or Sunflower oil while it is melted.

Sandy grains might be from the waxes and not the butters...

Still, once a balm goes grainy there are few who can force it to behave properly. I'd contact AH/RE and see if they realize just how bad the batch you got was.

Then, I'd bite the bullet and go buy a tub from BC - good stuff there!

Thanks for the advice. I got the base through the co-op, so I don't know that contacting them would do any good since I'm not the one who ordered it. Otherwise, I definitely would. Surely, this is not how this stuff is supposed to perform @ $16 a lb. Ack! I may use your siggestions and play with it a little, since I certainly can't make it worse. It looks like lemon curd in the tub. Ewww.

Do you use the WSP for tubes? That is the one I have, and I've only tried it in slider tins. I think I may give it another go in tubes and see if that makes it easier to apply.

Yes. I love their natural lip balm tubes so my customers can see the color of the lip balm. They sell really well too. Never tried the tins-- not my style.