Is there such a thing as wax incompatibility?

Ravens

:confused: For example, could I mix 6006 with 4627 and CBL 129 or mix any other concoction with no adverse effects? You see, if it's true that 4627 has a great throw and so does the CBL129 (and other waxes, for that matter), then wouldn't mixing these result in enhanced scent throw? Or will they interact in a negative way and actually kill the throw?

All you pros out there, cast your votes!:smiley2:

The problem you run into is that the companies don't list their proprietary ingredients. It won't hurt anything but your pocketbook to experiment with combinations of wax. I truly believe that the best advice is to pick a wax and then learn everything about the properties and or limitations of that wax and then build on that knowledge. I know my wax, even when I get a bad batch. The quality is pretty dependable because of that knowledge.

Steve

Wax blends are seldom incompatible in the sense that they won't mix properly. However, it can be harder than it sounds to get a good result.

Each blend is a mixture of more basic ingredients. Some company put a lot of testing effort into choosing the raw materials and proportions to design that particular wax. Combining two of those blends can create something with an odd mixture of different ingredients. The good qualities don't necessarily merge and the results can be unpredictable. You could mix two waxes that both stick to the container and the result could totally shrink away from the sides, just for instance.

Sometimes you get something useful. As chuck says, you can feel free to experiment if you want to. People have found combinations that they like, and you'll occasionally see them mentioned here.

Unless you want to devote a lot of research and learning to create wax blends from the same raw materials the manufacturers use, I agree with chuck that you're usually better off to choose an existing product and become expert at using it. Plus you can communicate with others about it and share experiences.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Thank you both for answering my question. Here are the waxes I have (try not to faint, please!:laugh2:):

GlassGlow palm

feather palm

KY container parasoy

KY tarts parasoy

CBL 129

JW6800

KW9900

Ecosoya PB

My goal: to produce highly (and I mean "knock your socks off") fragrant candles and tarts for personal use and to give to friends. I don't want to get into the business (too much hassle, I think), but at the same time I want to produce a safe product - don't want to burn down my home or anyone else's!

The containers I'm using now are the 6oz. and the 8oz. tureens, and the 8oz. mason jars. As far as wicks go, this is what I have on hand:

zinc 51-32-18

LX26

CD10

ECO8

ECO10

CSN16

zinc 60-44-18

CDN14

LX14

Heat most of the above waxes to 180 degrees (190 for the CBL129), add the 1.5oz. FO around 170, pour around 150. Did I accomplish my goal? Nope, not even close. They all smell wonderful in my Presto pot, but that's where it ends and I'm at my wits' end:rolleyes2.

Perhaps I'm not letting them cure long enough? Perhaps it's my nose? I really have no idea:confused:

So pleeese help me narrow it down to one to 3 waxes from the list I have - or more waxes, if you think it necessary. Are my wicks all the wrong ones?

Oh, about mixing waxes. Off the top of my head I remember mixing the 4627 with CBL 129, 464 with 4786, feather palm with 464.

Sorry for the long post.

Not sure this will help you much, but I've found if the cold throw is good, the resultant hot throw is often wicking problems. Have you tried a lot of different wicks in the same candle? How is the wick burning? How is the melt pool? And, what FOs are you using as some are just lighter in throw and some just won't throw in a certain wax. Also, sometimes more FO isn't the answer either...see what % FO each wax will hold and then remember the wicking gets tougher with more FO and more color. These are a few things to think about before giving a thumbs down to any of your waxes or mixtures. I think mixing waxes is a kick but I've had some really bad as well as some fairly good combos. So have fun. Beth

I agree 110% with every word Beth said. My only additional observation is that your wick collection is a little random, so your chances of getting a candle wicked optimally are random too. I think you need more sizes for each type of wick you want to try.

Mixing waxes is definitely not the answer to your problem. It's just about the hard work of designing good candles.