So confused

I am busy making candles for craft shows (probably like a lot of you!). I have been in the same house for a year, poured them the same way in the same location, and have been fine. I use C3 wax and don't add anything except dye and fragrance.

I looked this morning at the ones I made a couple of weeks ago and most of them have side frosting! I looked at these same candles a few days ago and they were fine. They are stored in a closet that remains pretty close to a constant temp (it sits near the thermostat).

I am at a total loss and just ready to pull my hair out! I don't know if people will care or not but some of them have about 1/2 to 3/4 of the sides with the frosting. I don't have the time to make them again.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks so much for listening and any advice you can provide!

After candle is made there is not much you can do at that point and it has always been a major problem with soy. I know a few people that heat the whole candle back up usually in an oven but me personally I think that creates more problems than it solves.

I would leave them be and if any one asks just tell them it is the nature of the wax to frost some times.

most of them have side frosting

If you have not already trimmed the wicks, you can remelt the candles in your oven. If the frosting occurred because of being poured into cold jars, this may help. If it occurred because the containers were not prewashed, remelting will not help.

If you do not prewash the containers, NatureWax C3 can frost right on the residue left behind in the glass manufacturing process. This frosting usually appears as vertical streaks and progresses slowly over time.

The frosting from pouring into cold containers can appear anywhere on the sides but usually does not appear on the surface.

If the frosting appears on the surface, you may need to use USA or another additive or change your pouring procedures slightly to help stabilize the wax. I don't know where you live, but we are having our first cool snap. The decreased humidity and temperature makes a lot of difference in pouring & cooling. At this time of year it seems like a lot of people complain about frosting issues. :)

Thank you everyone! I use washed jars so I don't think that is it. Maybe I should just double wash :)

I ended up trying to remelt some but just got too tired trying to keep up with it. I think I will just let it be and take your suggestion to just explain it to customers that it is a property of the wax.

Yes soy can be sneaky. You think that you avoided frosting once they have been cooled and stored away. Yet later on, usually due to the change in temperature, that frosting will start showing up.

Its best not to color the c-3 this time of year. I find its the cold weather that likes to make them frost. Even if you are able to prevent it with the candles you have on hand, once the customer gets them into their possession, the way that the store them or burn them, may also cause the frosting to appear.

Even if you do explain to them about natural frosting with soy, they will be turned off by your product, once the frosting messes up the pretty color that they were once attracted to.

I find its the cold weather that likes to make them frost
Oh GAWD - if you could SEE the batch my partner made a couple of months ago... Sure wasn't cold weather! She did not pay attention to the temps at which she was pouring, etc., even though we have a procedure card to follow (in case of brain fade...). She's young. :rolleyes2 I thought about choking her. :rolleyes2

But you're right - cold temps cause a TON of frosting issues with soy waxes. Paying close attention to air temp and pouring temps at this transitional time of year can make things go a LOT smoother! We add color year round, so controlling frosting is very important to the ultimate appearance of our candles. :)

Edited by Stella1952

Oh GAWD - if you could SEE the batch my partner made a couple of months ago... Sure wasn't cold weather! She did not pay attention to the temps at which she was pouring, etc., even though we have a procedure card to follow (in case of brain fade...). She's young. :rolleyes2 I thought about choking her. :rolleyes2

But you're right - cold temps cause a TON of frosting issues with soy waxes. Paying close attention to air temp and pouring temps at this transitional time of year can make things go a LOT smoother! We add color year round, so controlling frosting is very important to the ultimate appearance of our candles. :)

Tis true, there are alot of different factor that make them frost. Shoot, a dirty look can make them frost. :laugh2: