scented candle makin question

henhao

I am new at candle making and have just made three candles so far. I have been making scented pillar candles in a 3 x 7 mold. I am using nature's garden paraffin blend wax (I ordered a huge bag of it) and also using their scents. I have been using one ounce of scent per candle. All in all I am not too satisfied with the results in terms of scent and would appreciate any advice from more experienced candle makers. From what I've read so far I have the impression that perhaps the problem is my candle only has a three inch diameter and so isn't producing a wide enough melt pool? For making scented candles is it recommended I get a wider mold and if so what is a good size? Is one ounce a good amount of scent for the size candle I have been making and are nature's gardens scents considered good quality or does anyone have other recommendations? Actually, in my second candle I only used 1/2 ounce of scent because after smelling the first when it was finished (before burning it for the first time), it seemed so overwhelming I thought one ounce might be too much! But that was clearly a mistake, because the scent of the second candle is pretty weak as a result.

Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by henhao

Thanks Royal Star, I will check out that site.

Since you seem to be making candles in a mold similar in size to the mold I am using, can you tell me which wick you have found is best suited to the 3 x 6.5 pillar?

I have 100 zinc core wicks which read "62-52-18 extra large." I have not tried using any of these yet with my pillars, but was wondering if I could expect them to work well or badly.

Edited by henhao

My pillars are all 2-1/2 to 3" diameter and I usually use 1 oz./lb of FO. Nature's Garden is like all FO suppliers, some scents work and some just don't, that's why you test. I don't use your wax, but if you find an FO doesn't work, move on to others. Also, just because a scent has a strong cold throw, doesn't mean the hot throw will be strong.

In most of my pillars, I use flat braid #36 and sometimes #42 for heavier FO's. Have fun!! :cool2:

Fist get a digital scale you can get one at walmart for about $20 you will find it where they keep shipping supplies.

Next get some sample packs of wick I recommend LX or Flat braid. I do not use your wax so I can not get more specific. Read up on you wax and see how much FO it will hold and what the manufacturer recommend as a scent loads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Henhao,

I usually use Cotton Cored Wicks they work really good for that size pillar. You can find them at Candlewic.com they are inexpensive and burn really good! The zinc wics are better for votives you should really try the cotton and let me know if you like them. Have a great day!

www.royalstarcandles.com

Royal Star, it's a coincidence you should mention cotton core wicks because I just got a sample pack of these wicks. I do like the way these wicks burn. I see a very noticeable improvement over the wicks I was using before. But I am having problems achieving a full melt pool in 3 hours. I have tried C-60 all the way through C-85 wicks in my testing and can't get a full melt pool in under six hours. I started a thread called "meltpool questions"; if you read it and have any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them. I am wondering if the problem is the "paraffin blend" wax I am using. I have emailed nature's garden a couple of times now to ask about what is in the blend and what wicks they suggest with it, but they do not reply. I knew nothing of candle making when I ordered the wax and just sort of jumped right in blindly; if I knew what I know now I would have ordered pure paraffin. And I am guessing I should put off making my next pillar until I order some.

Edited by henhao