Calling all Double Wickers

I am confused to say the least.

After trying with all my might to single wick a 10 oz apothecary which is 4 inches in diameter 3 inches high, a 16 oz libbey lucida(elevation jar ) 4x 4 1/2 and a 24 oz libbey lucida (Elevation jar) 4x 5 ¾ I have gone to double wicking. This just gets worse and worse.

I used 2 CDN 8 in the 10oz- I poured hillbilly homebrew 1 oz of FO in 1-lb of 415 and used liquid dye. Burns pretty good…. I am happy so far. So what’s the problem you might ask yourself……………….

I used 2 CDN 10 in the 16 oz using Mulberry wine 1.5 FO in 1 lb of 415 and used liquid dye. I AM getting a FMP and clean jar and then on the 4th burn the flame is so small I had to hold my breath and pray it didn’t go out.

Using the same exact formula as above with the Mulberry wine I used 2 CDN 12 and got a FMP 1st and 2nd burn and now can’t achieve one the 3rd and 4th Burn.

What am I missing here? If anything shouldn’t the 12s be burning hotter than the 10s . And how am I achieving the FMP with the 10s when the flame is sooooooo small? How are the 8s doing so well. These are both some pretty heavy FO.

I would say maybe because I added the extra FO in the two 16 oz but that would not explain the 10’s doing better than the

12s.

Does any of this even make sense?

Thanks for whatever you can offer

Laura

Hi Laura,

I wish I had an answer for you but I am experiencing the EXACT same problem. VERY upsetting to me.

I am currently trying to wick a 10 and 16 oz apoth (Libby) brand jars.

I have tried 6006 with DBL 8 -DBL 10-and DBL 12 cd wicks

Also have tried 50/50 mix of soy/J223 same jars tried same wicks as above.

the best combo so far is the soy/223 using DBL 10's. in the 10oz Jar.

Any combo of wick, scent, or wax has had PUNY flames at the half way mark of burning down the jar??

Would love to solve this problem, it is driving me nuts!

Oh, I have also tried DBL wicking these same combos's using zincs and eco's all with the same results as above, dissappearing flames at the half way point!!!!

Sandy

Edited by hollyberryprims

It’s so freaking frustrating….. The flames are huge in the beginning making me think holy crap:shocked2: the flames are too big and then where it go:confused:. Well I will keep burning and see what happens. I was just hoping someone might be able to help. Good luck to you.

Thanks Laura

What am I missing here? If anything shouldn’t the 12s be burning hotter than the 10s . And how am I achieving the FMP with the 10s when the flame is sooooooo small? How are the 8s doing so well.
I don't do much multiple wicking, so take this with a grain of salt, BUT, it seems to me that this could be an issue of oxygen consumption. When a container candle is first lit, the wick is near the mouth of the container, so there is plenty of O2 and it burns hotly. As it descends into the container, there is less O2 available, so the flame becomes smaller. A larger wick needs more O2 to burn properly. The smaller wicks may work more efficiently because they require less O2 to burn properly. Does that sound plausible?

I also wonder if, when multiple wicking circular containers, would it not be better to use 3 wicks because the distribution of heat would be more even than with 2 wicks... you know a triangle being more circular and all that...

AND I am also wondering (with apologies to Top in advance for mangled wicking thinking :D) if when wicking 4"ers if twisting together two wicks would not work better than multiple wicking...

Edited by Stella1952

I don't do much multiple wicking, so take this with a grain of salt, BUT, it seems to me that this could be an issue of oxygen consumption. When a container candle is first lit, the wick is near the mouth of the container, so there is plenty of O2 and it burns hotly. As it descends into the container, there is less O2 available, so the flame becomes smaller. A larger wick needs more O2 to burn properly. The smaller wicks may work more efficiently because they require less O2 to burn properly. Does that sound plausible?

maybe ... but the 2 CDN 8s are in a jar that is not tall at all 3inches is all .the two 16's are not so tall either 4.5.... Now I could see that in the largest one that you were helping me with when I tried single wicking that one is 5 3/4. If you're right you would have to use a huge wick then . But then we talked about the jar getting too hot later on .............oh boy what a mess

I don't know but I wish someone did.

Thanks Laura

I don't use your wicks or wax combo, but in my 4" containers, with my parasoy, I've used (2) LX10's, LX12's and even LX14's to double wick my jars, depending on the FO's. I haven't found an FO yet that one of these wicks won't work. Try some different wicks if what you are using isn't working. :cool2:

I don't use your wicks or wax combo, but in my 4" containers, with my parasoy, I've used (2) LX10's, LX12's and even LX14's to double wick my jars, depending on the FO's. I haven't found an FO yet that one of these wicks won't work. Try some different wicks if what you are using isn't working. :cool2:

Thanks chris, I have HTP wicks too ... I have to tell you coreless works best with the 415. The others shroom so bad. I did get some samples of LX can't remember at the moment which I used or if I even tried them. I have to check my notes. I recently purchased all the CDNs heard such great things about them . Crazy :P. When things are working I just love it . when they are not working NOT SO MUCH....:mad:

I'm with you on this one Chris, for the majority of mine, lx12 seems to do the trick.