Has anybody tried...

rebeccajo99

Out of the colors in that sample pack I have used...

Tomato Red

Neon Yellow

Neon Green

Ultramarine Blue

Black Oxide

I also use TKB's Chocolate and Lavender

I purchased the 1 oz bottles and chose colors that would not bleed.

I think TKB's prices are good and the cost of shipping was fair. I would recommend them.

Edited by kestagano04

I got my liquid colorants from C&S. But I do have the sampler pack of POP colors in from TKB. I wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing from them. They have good quality colorants.

kestagano-- which ones are the non-bleeding colors? I was just going to start a thread about them. I am looking for non-bleeding liquid colorants for my soap making. I mean ones that don't bleed or fade even after several months. I quit doing swirls and embeds cause I have been so frustrated with color bleeding and fading.

I got my liquid colorants from C&S. But I do have the sampler pack of POP colors in from TKB. I wouldn't have any qualms about purchasing from them. They have good quality colorants.

kestagano-- which ones are the non-bleeding colors? I was just going to start a thread about them. I am looking for non-bleeding liquid colorants for my soap making. I mean ones that don't bleed or fade even after several months. I quit doing swirls and embeds cause I have been so frustrated with color bleeding and fading.

What is c&s if you don't mind answering. I think I am going to order from TKB, but want to look at other suppliers as well.

I am also interested in kestagano's answer. The reason I want to start doing colors is for the swirling and embeds. I don't want them to start bleeding after a while.

I'm sorry, I was wrong about the size, I have the 1/2 oz bottles.

When I purchased mine I made sure that they said non-bleeding in the description, and they also have a key at the top of the glycerin dispersed liquid colors page that you can follow...

"N" = non-bleeding; "C" = cosmetic grade; "S" = stable in high pH such as cold process soap and "M" = will morph (change colors) in high pH such as cold process soap.

So an example would be...

"Ultramarine Blue Liquid Concentrate NCS"

Ultramarine Blue is non-bleeding, cosmetic grade, and stable.

I haven't had any issues with bleeding, and I've been very happy with the colors.

HTH

Edited by kestagano04

Thanks kestagano! I'll have to check them out again.

rebecca- C&S is Candles and Supplies. They have FDA approved liquid colorants for soap. They sell a sample pack too and they last forever! It only takes 1-3 drops of colorant per lb and the colors are bright. Unfortunately some of them do fade in direct sunlight and swirls and embeds eventually fade after 3-6 months.

Candybee- I've always heard that liquid color are quicker to bleed (especially reds) than powdered colors such as oxides and micas. I don't know if that applies to powdered colors that are pre-mixed in glycerin or not *shrug*. Good luck!

~Julia

Are the powder ones hard to mix with your soaps? I have watched a few videos where they use powder to color the soaps, but they always edit to video so they don't have it competly stirred before they go to the next step and I cannot figure out what they mix it with. Do I take a little of my melted soap? I have been looking at the micas as well because of the "shimmer" effect.

I can only find the pop liquid in the sample packs... I don't want to purchase them if I cannot purchase an individual color once I am out.

if you use powdered the best way for me is to sprinkle it over the soap chunks BEFORE you melt, if youre melting in the micro at 30 sec take it out stir, keep melting this way has worked for me using mica powders without having flecks of the powder floating in the soap

oh what to get... now I want it all:laugh2:

I'm thinking that I will try liquid to start... then move to the powders when I start making bigger batchs. (if I ever get to the bigger batch part) But then again, to start I will be doing all one color, so then it will be one pot at a time... hmmm

Edited by rebeccajo99

I have had issues with only one of my liquid colors leaving flecks, the ultramarine blue, but that only happened a couple of times and it was a very small amount of flecks. The rest of the colors blended in perfectly.

Off topic a little... I noticed you live in Michigan... Where abouts???

if you use powdered the best way for me is to sprinkle it over the soap chunks BEFORE you melt, if youre melting in the micro at 30 sec take it out stir, keep melting this way has worked for me using mica powders without having flecks of the powder floating in the soap

That is a great idea! I usually just mix my powdered colorant with a little glycerin then pour that into my melted soap. I've tried taking out a portion of the soap, but it always cools too quickly.

Rebecca, one thing to remember with micas is that the shimmery quality is lost in opaque soap. In clear soaps it's most awesome.

~Julia

Thanks Julia for the information. Since I am working with opaque soap right now, I'll avoid the micas for the time being.

Where do you buy glyceren. After watching my videos before I started, I really wanted to try the ultramarines. But I can only find those mostly in powder a few in liquids and no sample pack :sad2:

I don't know what to get anymore. I only have a limited amount to spend, and then I'm done until I run out of testing supplies.

Wow... that was quick. I decided what to order and placed my order on Thursday. I just walked out to my mailbox and it was there!!! Shipping was very resasonable too since they offer flat rate boxes!!! I can't wait to finish figuring out my soap recipie so I can start playing around with colors!!!:yay: