Candle Party Question

regeon

I have been in business sine 04 selling online only. I have done well and happy with the way things are going. I am terrified of home parties and have done well avoiding them. I do fine if people come to me but in home parties I know I will probably have a panic attack on the spot when I have to do a presentation.

In the past 2 weeks I have had 3 customers put serious pressure on me to let them host home parties. I dont want to let my customers down so I have agreed.

My question is: Is there a website that has a checklist and/or forms and ideas?

TIA, Im so stressed just thinking about this but I know that it will be good for business and I will be fine once I get into it.

Home parties are fun - I don't do them - I have reps that do! I am just not into that thing, but my reps that do them are very sucessful. Google "home sales party ideas" and there are a great many sites out there with all sorts of ideas.

One thing my reps learned the hard way - have pay and take along with orders. Some people are just impulsive buyers and will want to take - other will be completely okay to sniff a sample and order. Plus, you only have so much strength to be carrying tons of candles!

They play games - drink heavily and from what I can see - sell mucho candles. I can't wait to see how they do when I have bath/body and soap to sell.

If you take enough scents, people will be too busy to listen to you, cause all they'll do is sniff... It doesn't hurt to have a game, I've done a sniff & guess kind of game with scents that should be simple, but people just can't get them. It's not too hard to do minimal speaking. The customers are there to sniff, not listen to stuff from us. Good luck, get one under your belt, you may find it easier than you think.

I agree people don't want to hear alot of talking.They see the products and will buy. People are to busy nowadays with the parties people used to have like demos etc. Most know what a candle is. Just will buy or order depending on what you have.Most of the time someone will get scent just to try if it is available.

Have your hostess have some snacks out and people will eat and drink.Many just chat.

Home parties aren't popular in my area.People stopped havng them years ago.I never hear of anyone having one. Maybe groups might be interested like Church groups etc but not individuals.

If people were interested I sure would do them. Only if they approach because I am not that bold. You have people interested so go for it.

Sure wish I had reps to do them.I know friends won't. They don't buy my candles. Like them but want them free. They go to Wal Mart and don't even buy from other candlemakers.

LynnS

Have a candle dipping party. Please love the interaction and something free to take home with them. Also have a table of essential oils and show them how to blend scents and give each a "recipe" to blend. Then sell them your candles with those scents. Lots of things to do rather than sitting around and eating. People like to learn new things.

Try not to stress :) It's really not all that bad!

Years ago a friend and I used to make dried flower arrangements and other crafty things and we did the whole party thing. It WAS so much nicer having a "partner" there with me, I must admit, but we found most of the time the people at the parties were there to get together with friends and chatted a lot among themselves for the most part.

I totally agree with the impulse buyer thing. I am like that myself. I see, I like, I buy.

My husband and I are thinking about getting started with the whole party plan thing for Christmas.

We'll give it a go anyway.

What we will probably do is have leaflets with all the palm and soy info to hand out to anyone who is interested in reading all about it as well as a leaflet on how to burn candles correctly (yah! Like they will follow instructions!) and I'm sure people themselves will ask questions so it won't be like a formal "speech" thing we'll have to give!

Give it a go!What have you got to lose? It's a wonderful way to meet people in your area and can be a lot of fun!

Tracy

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It has made me feel better already. My best friend is really pushing the issue of the home parties and totally into having the parties and is so straight forward and fearless :smiley2: She keeps saying how great my products are and she is going to do everything she can to push my business to a new level. Maybe I should just let her run with it huh??

• 1 month later...
If you take enough scents, people will be too busy to listen to you, cause all they'll do is sniff... It doesn't hurt to have a game, I've done a sniff & guess kind of game with scents that should be simple, but people just can't get them. It's not too hard to do minimal speaking. The customers are there to sniff, not listen to stuff from us. Good luck, get one under your belt, you may find it easier than you think.

I was wondering what do you give the host for booking a party. my first time and i don't have a clue to what to give her for booking a party. Actually i have another one the following day. Please Help.