Wax Melter

Well Tracy and I have been discussing the possible purchase of a decent wax melter which will make our lives so much easier by saving a heap of time. Currently we melt batches in a double boiler which can hold no more than about 8 lbs at best, which is obviously very time consuming when you have 80 or 100 jars to pour, not to mention pillars, melts and the like.

Having had a look around it seems as though there are both direct and also water jacketed melter's available. For those of you that may use these, which do you use and why.

Both types are available here so would be nice to find out what the difference is and why you chose one over the other.

The other thing we were looking at is actually buying it in the US and having it shipped down here. Yes I realise that we would also need a step down transformer to convert our 240v into your 110v to actually use it, but there is method to the madness.

To give you an example, the 45kg melter here is $1920 AUD. The exact same unit in the US (from Candlewic is $800 USD, so even with the exchange rate, shipping and the transformer we are likely to save $500 - $600 AUD overall and that is using the shipping calc on the candlewick site, which I think I can reduce by at least 50% by using a freight forwarder.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to any responses. Just as an aside we are also looking to bring our own FO's in direct from the US suppliers as that is going to give us an edge here as there seem to be only 2 suppliers for the whole of Australia, so everyone is ultimately using the same fragrances. We like to be different and unique :)

Cheers

Richard

Richard,

I use - and I know alot of other people do too - electric turkey fryers which are way cheaper, they have digital temp control and spouts for pouring. they have inner heating elements which make them very fast heating. I have 3 - 1 for container wax, 1 for pillar, 1 for palm. I would not be without them and bought all 3 for under 100.00 each.. Maybe worth a look. Google masterbuilt electric turkey fryer.

Here's some info:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.K5713.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=Cooking%20&cm_pla=Kitchen%20Electrics&cm_ite=K5713

HTH

Nancy

Richard,

I use - and I know alot of other people do too - electric turkey fryers which are way cheaper, they have digital temp control and spouts for pouring. they have inner heating elements which make them very fast heating. I have 3 - 1 for container wax, 1 for pillar, 1 for palm. I would not be without them and bought all 3 for under 100.00 each.. Maybe worth a look. Google masterbuilt electric turkey fryer.

Here's some info:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.aol_refer.false.tpl.detail.msn_refer.false.item.K5713.ref.GBA?cm_ven=GOOGLEBASE&cm_cat=Cooking%20&cm_pla=Kitchen%20Electrics&cm_ite=K5713

HTH

Nancy

Same here, got one for $15.00 but that was just luck.I have had one go bad and I'm on the second in three years. Not bad.. In the mean time I should have been looking for another. Don't know what the life is with the real candle melters but these are a good deal for us.

http://www.waxmelters.com/PW200-Water-Jacket-Wax-Melter-p/pw200%20water%20jacket%20melter.htm

This is the one I have and have had it for 7 years now....just love it! It sits in the corner of my candle shop just outside my storage closet. People think it's my "stil"! LOL

I also have a smaller one that I pull out as well for large wholesale orders. Once the wax is melted, I'm good for the whole day!

HTH

Carrie

I hooked up 8 presto pots, melt 8lbs of wax in each, which totals 64 lbs of wax.

Takes less than 10 minutes to melt that 64lbs of wax..

Inexpensive, fast and easy to melt..

Just another alternative you may want to consider..:cheesy2:

ETS: I agree with Nancy that the Turkey Fryers take way to long to melt wax.

I also have one of the Masterbuilt Turkey Fryers I use. ..

It holds about 35lbs of wax and it does take longer than 10 minutes to melt it.. Works great when I have really big orders.. I pull that out with my prestos and I am ready to go...

But I love my presto pots..

For me it melts 64 lbs of wax a lot quicker and less expensive too!!.

Edited by islandgirl