UVA/Co

UV additive and Coconut oil are like apples and pecans - both are ingredients for a good applecake but they are very different things for very different purposes. :)

My best suggestion is for you to become best friends with the search tool for this site and research like there's no tomorrow! There is more information here than can be described!

Coconut oil is used in soy-based candles to smooth the texture of the wax, reduce frosting and to enhance scent throw. How well it does those things depends on who ya talk with. Having tried both USA (Universal Soy Additive) and coconut oil, I prefer USA for the above purposes.

UV additive is used to help the wax resist color changes from light. There are two kinds: UV A & UV B. Each one works best on a specific part of the light spectrum (ultraviolet a or ultraviolet B) and both parts are used to reduce fading and other color changes (even used in uncolored wax to prevent yellowing). Here's one source (scroll down until you see the products): http://www.candlewic.com/store/category.aspx?q=c11

Some suppliers carry UV stabilizer which supposedly covers both types - A & B. I use that type, but I suspect that the two part stabilizer would be better. UV stabilizer has nothing to do with hot or cold throw and, to my knowledge, does not affect the burn properties of the candle in any way. HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952

Thanks, I just got my order of UVA in today. Very ready to start testing. I tried to find the CO at walmart but no luck yet. I will probably just have to order it online. I'm going to make a couple of candles with UVA in some and CO in the other, and see wich I like best.

Yes sorry USA is what I meant. Well I feel stupid. Thanks for pointing that out because I would have keep on referring to it as UVA if you haven't. We will just call it a blond moment and leave it at that lol. :embarasse

No need to feel stupid. Look at all the people who couldn't figure out what you were obviously talking about. :)

So far I have tried both the CO, and the USA. I think as things stand right know I'm leaning more towards the USA. But I would like to do more testing with the CO. I think that with the last test I did I put to much CO. I read that less is more when it comes to adding CO. Also I just started using CD wicks. Give me Ur opinion if you will? Does a CD 12 in a 8oz jelly jar sound about right to you. I'm not so sure because the HT is there but not really really strong like I would like it to be. The fragrance oil is a good Quality so I know its not that. The melt pool of the wax is good IDK? :confused: If I had a little bit more money to sink in it I would try other soy wax. Not that I hate the C-3. But Im thinking about trying GB 444 or 464. I already tried the CBA and really did not like it. I do like the C-3 Better than it. IDK maybe I have to high of an expectation on how well the candle throws!!! :(

Does a CD 12 in a 8oz jelly jar sound about right to you. I'm not so sure because the HT is there but not really really strong like I would like it to be. The fragrance oil is a good Quality so I know its not that. The melt pool of the wax is good IDK?
I use a CDN 10 on that size container. The 12 may be burning off the FO. How long are you letting the candles cure before burning them?
maybe I have to high of an expectation on how well the candle throws!!!
It takes a lot of patience to fully test and "perfect" a wax. Wicks, wax and containers all work together for the best HT from good quality FOs...
I think that with the last test I did I put to much CO. I read that less is more when it comes to adding CO
I dunno how much you were using, but remember: wax will hold only so much oil... Nothing wrong with using a little (1 tsp./PP) of CO AND the USA (1 Tbsp./PP)- I don't think it'll blow up or anything! At least mine never did... :D

Another point... when testing, people often make very small batches - only enough for one or two candles. The slightest bit too much of anything will show up very quickly because the batch size is so small... Minor screwups with FO, for example, can really cause a lot of troubles both with frosting and with 'smrooming and diminished HT (the 'shroom makes the wick burn even less efficiently).

How do I know this? Because I, ummmm, got a little heavy-handed with one of my favorite FOs last week. :embarasse Slopped a little more than normal in a pound of wax (1.58 oz./pp vs. 1 oz/pp), but because it's a favorite, I said, Oh well - the more the merrier, right? WRONG! It's frostin' like a snowman, has a 'shroom the size of Texas and the HT is for sh*t. The cold throw is much better than the hot! When I extinguish the wick and swirl the hot wax around the jar, the throw nearly blows my face off! But not when it's lit... DooDoo occurs... Guess I'll just have to keep those 3 since they didn't pass the Quality Control Inspector! :)

If I had made the same mistake in a half-pound of wax, the problem would be more severe because there is less wax. If I had made the same boo-boo in a 4 pound batch (once - not 4 times!), it might not have affected the wax at all! ;)

Charm, remember not all fragrance oils no matter the quality are going to have a good throw all the time. You just have to keep testing other fragrances till you find one that throws for you. I have many oils that I loved oob but when I put it in wax it did nothing.:(

That is why many of us literally go through testing samples by the gazillions when looking for that perfect throw!! Don't change waxes if you like the one you have, you will have the same problem with any other wax. Just keep on testing till you find the right fragrances that will throw in your C-3.

That is just part of the learning process. There are many threads here that name fragrances that do well in the C-3.

HTH

Stella, I will try the Cd 10's. I think your right about it burning up the Fo. Because it has a good throw just not a great one.

I'm going try putting the co in with the usa and see what that does. I know after reading the other posts about CO that I did put way way to much in.

I'v done that myself once. I put 2oz in 1 pound of wax. Not only did it seep out of the top of the candle it also killed the wick. Trial and error I guess. But thats one of the things I do enjoy you can never stop learning. It would just be more fun if I didn't cost so much. The trial and error part is killing my wallet. But I think that I'm very close to getting a good formula. How long did it take you to figure out your wax, and wicking, and what oils throw great in your candles?

Earthfriendly, I just made a Blueberry Muffin scented candle and it is much better. I'm on the right path now I do believe. I just need to order some CD 10's. I think that maybe the answer to my problems. Then I will just have to set down and see what FO work with my wax. I think just to start off I'm going to pick 20 scents or so and only work with them. Until I get more of a customer base.

thats one of the things I do enjoy you can never stop learning

I totally agree! It's fascinating!

How long did it take you to figure out your wax, and wicking, and what oils throw great in your candles?

***chuckling***

Well, I'm not so sure I've actually figured ANYTHING out 100%... How LONG did it take? That depends upon how much you pour, how well you keep records and how diligent you are about testing. For some folks, it doesn't take but a few months before they are making consistently high-quality candles. For others, it takes longer. For a few, it never happens. IMHO, an organized approach to candlemaking is the most important factor. To gain experience, one has to test, test, test and keep excellent records of what you are doing, how much your are using and from where...

Many of our decisions are based on shipping costs. To make a product affordable, it's best to use suppliers which are closest to your location. Some people have loads of great suppliers within driving distance. We have none, so shipping costs are a MAJOR consideration for us.

I use FOs from several different suppliers - we have favorites from them all. We have also sampled duds from them all. ;) And there is a LONG list of suppliers and FOs we'd LIKE to test at some point! Each candlemaker has different tastes, so what we think is great may leave you a little cold... and vice versa.

Well at least I'm not alone. You are so right about the shipping charges. I do not have any supplier's around me ether. You really do have to pay close attention to the shipping charges. I was buying my jars from one supplier, and I thought I was getting a killer deal. That is until I added in the shipping. The shipping alone was like 22 dollars.It was cheaper to just go to the local hobby lobby and buy jars for 99 cents a piece. Than pay 69 cents a piece plus shipping. We should both just open up a supply house in our own states. We would probably make a killing. LOL