Shelf Life of Oils

sune42

So in a search I came across this site http://www.soapnuts.com/shelf.html

My question is, is this pretty hard and fast? I have had my oils in basement storage for about 2 years. About a week ago I opened a bunch and sniffed. They all smell ok to me. My main concern is the rice bran and almond oils. Any suggestions? And I do know how rancid oil smells, it's a long story but I was conned into making cookies with crisco that was very much past it's prime.

tia

amanda

Hi Amanda!!

As long as the oils are kept in a cool dark light proof conditions, it should last for quite a while. I have oils that have been in my possession for 4+years and they are STILL good...

When they become 'bad' the go 'rancid' and you can definitely detect it with your nose. Butters will actually get a sharp, almost vinegar like odor as will most oils.

If all else fails and you are concerned, just use them for soaping :cheesy2:

Same here, I've had some stored for several years in a cool dry location and they were ok. IMO it depends on the oil. I have a gallon of Olive Oil and the exp. date was 5/09. Shortly before the expiration date it started to smell odd. Can't really explain the scent but it was very strong. I didn't feel comfortable with it so into the trash it went. I won't use Avocado or Evening Primrose oil pass the expiration date simply because they have such a short shelf life. On the other hand I have had Palm oil and Meadowfoam that was stored for long periods of time and they were perfectly fine. I only make soap for myself so I feel comfortable using my oils. Sharing or selling would be different and I would never want to take a chance with out dated oils.