wicking 444...with photo

They look good to me. Did you burn them to the end yet? I think that if you wick up they might be too hot. Mushrooming can be too much FO, too, but reallly it doesn't look like you have alot of mushrooming there, IMO.

If it were my test I would probably wick up one to see how it does. :cheesy2:

Thanks for your response. They haven't made it to the end yet, but they are on the way. I have them burning right now for the 7th test. I agree, I think the 16 may be too hot, but I may try anyway, just to see what happens. That little bit of hang up is starting to melt off now. Thanks again for responding so quickly...I want to continue testing...it's reassuring to know I am on the right track. :)

Thanks Dana! I'm getting anxious for the 16s to get here....hopefully today! :yay: I got them from Candle Coccoon...along with a few samples. If I am using 1.5oz FO now from CS and am wicking with a 14 or 16, and then I use .5 oz or .6 oz FO per pound (recommended by them), would that change my size of wick considerably?

Opps! I meant in my previous post that I was using 1.5 oz CS oil, but wanted to try a new Candle Coccoon scent and use .5-.6 oz oil per pound, (amound recommended by them..) if that would change my wick size considerably.

Well, I tried the CD 16 in my 3 inch Madison. Here is a picture of the 16 about 1 hour 15 minutes into the 3rd 3 hour burn test. At the end of the 3 hours, I has a FMP that was about 1/2 in deep. Still had that gunk on the sides. [ATTACH]17776[/ATTACH]

Here is also a picture of the CD14 after the 11th burn test. Still have about 1/3 of the candle to burn, but the hang up is melted, but the gunk is still there...although while it is burning, it is clear. The melt pool at 3 hours is right around 1/4 inch. [ATTACH]17777[/ATTACH]

I think the 16 is too hot...or will be once it burns down more, and I think the 14 is okay now, but should a candle really take 10 test burns to get a FMP? :confused:

post-10699-139458456598_thumb.jpg

post-10699-139458456602_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I think I agree. I think the 16 is burning a little too hot. I'll test them both to the end. I'm curious how much the 16 will change as it burns down... I wonder how some can get a full melt pool by the 2nd or 3rd burn and still not be too hot by the end of the candle? Hmmm...thoughts to ponder...

I hope this photo worked...thanks for the help!!!

With what very little hang up you have, I do think wicking up from the wicks in your pics, would be too much. Keep burning the candles and this very small amount of wax might melt down as it will do with soy. Personally, I'd be happy with this test if it was mine. :yay:

Thanks! I think I agree. I think the 16 is burning a little too hot. I'll test them both to the end. I'm curious how much the 16 will change as it burns down... I wonder how some can get a full melt pool by the 2nd or 3rd burn and still not be too hot by the end of the candle? Hmmm...thoughts to ponder...

90% of the time the candle is too hot at the end....they just dont admit it...:lipsrseal