Sample Limits

If you offer samples to customers, what are your limits? I've got a few clients that want super customized candles, but they want samples of multiple scents. I don't mind doing this for people, but I also don't want to be sending six or a dozen candles to people who haven't committed to buying! How do I put limits on what I'll do without sounding like a jerk?

charge for the samples. Even the big guys do, some of them offer samples a little lower than you would pay for their wholesale cost.When I was in the floral/gift industry most of the big guys would have small print in their catalog that would say testers are available at a reduced rate etc.

One way is to charge for the samples--either full price or wholesale cost, but offer a credit for the cost of the samples on their first order.

Another option, make a special sample case. The aluminium tins in a case or plastic tealights in a clear plastic tube are great for holding the samples. You can sell them or take them as a set or take them to shops and let the customers sniff them on the spot.

Yup, I'd charge, too. You can waste a lot of product and time coming up with a candle for someone. Especially if they want "custom" because you have to TEST whatever you're going to sell them. Testing a whole new scent for a customer/client is going to be just as labor-intensive (and costly) as if you were product-testing for yourself.