Using wine for liquid in CP?

Any advice? I did a search on here and couldn't find anything. I googled it, and found a few articles but most didn't give much detail on wine mainly beer? Do I need to boil this first to reduce the alcohol then maybe freeze it to the slush stage? Does it actually keep any of the smell? Any tips would be appreciated.

I have used wine before and did nothing but chill it in the freezer until it was ICE cold and then added my lye to it. :) I used one that was a blueberry mead and made locally and added a blueberry fo so not sure if the scent came through but the color sure did! It was beautiful! I had no issues soaping it at all. Turned out fantastic! Go ahead and just act like the wine was water :)

I would do a search over at the Dish. If I remember, Soapbuddy used wine and it was NOT a good experience. A couple of soaper said that. I think she said it smelled bad when adding the lye to it.:confused:

I want to try beer soap but I'll wait a bit. Maybe later this fall. I know the beer has to go flat and then heated carefully to remove the alcohol before I can use it.

I'm on my 6th batch of testing wine in CP. A local fruit wine brewery wants to start their own line of wine soaps to go with their wines, so I'm testing all their flavors (then get tipsy on the rest of the bottle - I have such a tough job).

I would suggest icing/freezing the wine first, and I tend to put my pitcher of wine in the utility sink, then add the lye. If I don't ice the wine it's like a scene out of MacBeth complete with the witches and cauldron. I don't tend to notice a difference either way. I do however notice a lack of punch if I boil/concentrate the wine down.

Wine can be used as the liquid in your soap, but all of the alcohol content will need to evaporate before it can really be used. It will definitely need to be boiled for a while on your stove to accomplish this, and yes, I'd freeze it to the slushy stage right before SLOWLY adding your lye to it. It will STINK to high heaven when you're dissolving your lye in it, but that does dissipate after the soap is poured into your mold, and even more so while the soap cures.

As far as champagne goes, you will need to let your bottle sit out and open for 3 or 4 days, making it very flat. Then, boil away, freeze it to a slush, and proceed.

Wine can be used as the liquid in your soap, but all of the alcohol content will need to evaporate before it can really be used.

A friend of mine makes beer soap and when I asked about boiling out the alcohol she didn't know why that would have to be done. She simply lets the beer go flat. Can you explain your reasoning?

Wine can be used as the liquid in your soap, but all of the alcohol content will need to evaporate before it can really be used.

A friend of mine makes beer soap and when I asked about boiling out the alcohol she didn't know why that would have to be done. She simply lets the beer go flat. Can you explain your reasoning?

Did you read my above post?? It said because it can cause the heat to increase.

Soap getting too hot will cause it to crack.

I've made a few batches of beer soap and have never ever boiled the alcohol out. I let it go flat right in the fridge for several days. Never had soap heat up either.

As for the wine....I would boil it a bit...then stick it in the fridge for a few days before soaping it. I say boil it because we make homemade wine..and the alcohol content is very high...so it makes sense to me to diminish some of that alcohol.

Maybe the alcohol content in the beer you are using is lower than wine. I have always just avoided the issue by boiling the alcohol out as many have had problems with the soap over heating and the soap cracking.

But if it works for you by all means don't change it.